What's new

Does anyone here eat circus peanuts? (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm sure no one will admit to buying these neon orange sponge candies, but someone must buy them. They've been around for over a century but they're the kind of candy that makes your friends and family say "blechhh!".

There was an article up in our weekly free paper about circus peanuts last week. They're the underground candy of America. No one will admit to eating them, but they disappear off store shelves just the same... apprently they are more complicated to make than other candies (something about the sugar process which creates their infamous texture)... obviously the candy companies wouldn't bother if it was a losing proposition.

I bought a bag today out of curiosity for $1.49. They feel stale to the touch but break apart simply in the mouth... not quite marshmallow, not quite nugat. A slight banana flavor... but with a distressing bitter edge to the sugar (in the "finish")...

What do you think?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I haven't had them in so long, I couldn't tell you if I still didn't like them. My grandmother, on the other hand, loved them. They were her favorite candy.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I like them, but only if they're fresh and are the kind that kind of melt in your mouth. Even so, I don't buy them too often.

E

Eric Kahn

I like circus peanuts, but can't eat them right now because I am on the atkins diet, no sugar

StephenA

Screenwriter
I hate them, but my dad loves them. He always looks for the fresher, soft ones whenever we're in a grocery store, department store, or any place that sells candy. I dunno how he or anyone can eat them.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Circus Peanuts rule! But only if they are Brach's brand:
Link Once, I was with a friend at the store and I asked to borrow a couple of dollars. He agreed, and then he found out I was going to buy Circus Peanuts with his money. He then absolutely refused to give me the money because he hated them so much. Last Christmas he gave me a bag of a crappy brand of Circus Peanuts for Christmas as a joke. If they had been Brach's, it would not have been a joke, but a special treat!

Stefan A

Second Unit
If your circus peanuts are hard, then you got a stale bag. Search for ones that are soft - much better.

And yes, I am a closet circus peanut lover (not anymore :))

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
My dad liked 'em too. My wife eats those orange slices that are coated with sugar. Those are also old school candy.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
My father loved them, but I can't even stand to smell them. I'm not a big fan of gummi or marshmallow candies in general. When I got peeps in my Easter basket they were G.I. Joe cannon fodder. ;)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Man, I can't stand them. The only other candy I probably dislike as much are Peeps.

Jeff

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
These things have a name!?! I always thought "Circus Peanuts" meant bags of roast peanuts you buy at a circus or fair.

But this thread does remind me of something I heard about Joan Jett once......

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I myself was more partial to the banana shaped and flavored version. Also those little candy dots on paper that you bought by the foot.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I (Heart) Circus Peanuts.

But strangely, I only like the ones that are older and harder. And you absolutely have to have something to drink while eating them; its like swallowing gauze.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
My wife loves them, I hate them. I've never really eaten any (or maybe not more than one, so its not an issue overconsumption at one point in my life) but the smell of circus peanuts literally makes my sick to my stomach. If I dont get away from the smell soon enough, I will throw up. Blech...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks