Does anyone have the Patricia Rozema Collection?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Ulmer, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If so, how are the transfers?

I already have Mansfield Park, but would love to own decent versions of When Night is Falling and I Heard the Mermaids Singing. I've never seen White Room.

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I'm interested in When Night is Falling, but from what I've read, it seems to be a 4:3 DVD......

I've never seen The Mermaids Singing but I've heard good things about it (and it's OAR 16:9), so I've ordered just that one.....

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

When Night is Falling is also supposed to be 16x9 enhanced according to the ebay listings I've seen for it. IHTMS is definitely in its OAR, and Rozema's website lists WNIF as remastered, so I doubt it is 4:3.
    According to vdowarehouse (ebay seller) WNIF has:

*Newly Restored Version (for English version only)
    *Commentary Track by Patricia Rozema (for English version only)
    *New 5.1 Dolby Digital Mix (for English version only)
    *Running Time: Approx. 1h35min
    *Languages: English 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Surround, Francais 2.0 Dolby Stereo
    *Widescreen Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Enhanced For 16x9 Televisions
    *Subtitles: English (SDH), Francais

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Mark, before the official Canadian version came out there was a Korean version of WNIF, or dubious legality, that was full frame. So that may be where you heard it was full frame. But since then, the official Candian version came out, which is as Jeff says.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I just checked Rozema's website again and can confirm the commentary tracks, but the aspect ratios for WNIF and White Room aren't listed specifically, while the Mermaids DVD back lists 1.85/anamorphic and is shown in its entirety.

6. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Actually, the Mermaids dvd mentions a 1.66:1 (anamorphic) ratio (US Cover, Canadian cover).

Thanks about the When Night is Falling input. I believe some e-tailers list it as 4:3 (dvdboxofffice, for example), I don't think I confused it with any Korean version. [​IMG]

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My eyes are going - I couldn't make out that small print, but did see the 16x9 bit. I contacted the website for clarification on the aspect ratios, so I'll post what I learn if they reply.

Having the shorts available too is leaning me towards the box set, despite already owning Mansfield Park.

8. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I don't own the Patricia Rozema collection, but I do own the When Night Is Falling DVD that is included in it. (Funny, I've had it almost exactly for one year now - shipped from Canada on 9 January 2003, took about a week to arrive).

I can confirm the DVD is 16:9-encoded. The transfer is very good and the 5.1 soundtrack is very powerful; the LFE packs a lot of punch. The director's commentary is well worth listening to as well.

It's nice that Alliance Atlantis did this right. Jeff, if you do decide to get the collection, please post the contents and your opinion of the bonus disc. I heard of the collection only after my DVD of When Night is Falling had shipped so I'll be inclined to buy the other Patricia Rozema films separately at some point in the future, but if the bonus disc is very good, I might break down and double-dip on this one title just to get the bonus disc.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

That's good news Marko. I had reviewed Mansfield Park before, but had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. The collection looks like a good buy, even if double dipping on one title.

10. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

It seems anamorphic enhancement is lost on you. [​IMG]

A fragment from the US back cover:
    [​IMG]

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I saw the 16x9 bit, just couldn't make out the aspect ratio on the Canadian site.

12. Marko Berg

The back of the Canadian DVD states 1.78:1 and does seem to match what's on the disc.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I think we may be getting confused (at least I was).

Mermaids is 1.66:1, WNIF is 1.78:1, both are anamorphic. Correct?

14. Marko Berg

Yeah, sorry. I think Mark is referring to the Mermaids aspect ratio. WNIF is 1.78:1 is all I'm saying.