Does anyone have Starblazers on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

I have been tempted to buy the first season...Does anyone own it here and can tell me how it looks etc?

2. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

I've got them all - and while I love the show to death, and point to it as a landmark of what anime (even dubbed anime) can be, I'm a little less thrilled by the discs.

Voyager Entertainment, unfortunately seems to follow the policy of "Minimum amount of work necessary". The very first disc - the first printing of the first disc - didn't even have menus. The second printing of the disc does, so that's a step in the right direction.

I'm also not to keen on the flow of the discs. They've coded the discs in a -opening credits- -episode A- -episode B- -episode C- -end credits- format. If you want the cool theme, you've got to jump around in the sub menus, trying to play the episodes by hand as it were. Later in the series - the Comet Empire and Bolar Wars - Voyager got it's act together and formatted the show correctly (sort of). But the long and the short of it - the DVD mastering guy and producer should be flogged for their mis-handleing of the show.

The movies, on the other hand, have one BIG flaw (and a bunch of smaller ones). The subtitles? Burned in - not player generated. You cant turn the bloody things off! And of course they use the bad translation scripts (where the Wave Motion Gun is often referred to as the Undulation Cannon - a translation error that goes back to the mid-80's and a fan-sub of Arriverdechi Yamato). Also, they seem to have used the tape source masters, because there are moments of dropout in some of the movies.

*sigh* It's not all doom and gloom. They did put together some nice extras, interviews with the American voice actors, some missing scenes from the movies, and the original Japanese opening from Yamato III for the Bolar Wars replacing the oddly out of place Comet Empire theme.

However, I keep praying for the day when VEI loses the license and a skilled anime company (like Animegio) picks it up and gives Yamato the royal treatment. A restoration like the Macross boxed set would be a dream come true for me. . . .

3. Matthew Green

I think I'll get season one off of Ebay...Amazon wants WAY too much money for it...

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I've only seen the movies on DVD (not interested in any dubbed stuff), but as far as the movie DVDs go, I am incomplete agreement. The quality of the Voyager DVDs that I have seen is about VHS quality.

For the last Yamato movie, there is a timed script online that you can use with DVD subber and the Japanese DVD. (You can get it from this site.

5. Matthew Green

You think I should wait for another company to release these? They WERE done in 2001...

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I got them (S1-S3) via Deep Discount DVD during one of their 20% off sales. Great price. I got it for my wife, who grew up watching these, and I have let her and my son make it a thing they watch together (I haven't been able to get into it except sparingly). But I would say, based on her comments, that she would agree with the mini-review above.

Basically, good for fans of the show who really really want it, but I wouldn't recommend as a blind buy.