Does Anyone Have Experience With Marantz Monoblocks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

If so, have you compared them to anything else? Are they great sounding and easy to use like I've heard before?

Any other comments?

Thanks,

Chuck

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I haven't. But I am in the same boat as you, or I was anyway, when it came to buying monoblocks...
    I debated long and hard over the Marantz MA6100 vs. the nOrh Le Amp (also sold in the U.S. as the MB-100).
    In the end I went with the Le Amp, mainly because a few posters said it wiped the floor with the Marantz. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.
    Here is a thread you might check out.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=43102
    I know a good place to order the Marantz online, in case you decide to go that way.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Thanks for the info, James...

The reason I posted was because I'm thinking of adding a pair of amps to my Denon 1801 to drive the front speakers. Do you guys think I'll get a nice improvement over the 1801's amps if I added a separate amp, esp. in a medium-large room driving full range towers (89dB/w/w, 8 ohms)?

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Chuck:

The Marantz monoblocks are very sweet, especially if you can find the (now discontinued) MA-700 models.

The monoblocks are extremely dynamic and wonderful for home theater, but they still retain that traditional "Marantz" sound. I wouldn't go so far as to call them warm, but their high end is definitely very palatable. Listener fatigue is rarely an issue with Marantz amps.

I think they would be a very nice improvement over the 1801. I've never really cared for the sound of Denon amps, so I think you could be on to something here.

Another consideration would be the product from Anthem. Specifically, their MCA series (the 20, 30 and 50 series of power amps). The Anthem sound is quite different from the Marantz sound. Anthem has got some bite and some "kick ass" (don't ask - I don't know what that is, but it describes their sound well!). They are very attractively priced, given their performance, so I would consider them as well.

/Jeff

5. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

I have been using a pair of MA700's for sometime now. They perform very well for just about anything. When I had the Denon 4800, I used the MA's for the mains. They outperformed the Denons amt's in highs and lows with very deep bass and highs that dont wreck havick on your ears. Since the 4800 I upgrade to the Marantz sr14ex, now this is the only a/v that I have owned that out did the MA700's, so i use them for the rear centers(kind of a waste, but sr14's amts just sound better). In your case you will notice a hudge difference, even if you went with the 6100, a little less power, but still have the great musical sound that marantz puts out.

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Chuck--here is a link to an audiophile's review of the Le Amps on Audio Asylum. The reviewer compares them at one point, to Marantz monoblocks. There was (is?) a lot of controversy over the Le Amp at AA because of a debate over its specs, but those who have actually listened to it seem to give it extremely high marks.
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/gen...es/150534.html

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Thanks for the link, James....

Here's how I feel now:

Given that I found a pair of MA6100s for $350, I think it's worthwhile to jump on that deal in order to improve the sound over my receiver. If I were able to get the Norh monoblocks for the same price, I might consider them, yet again, the main purpose of the monoblocks is for my home theater, and eventually, I'd use them to power a sub.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I've used Marantz MA-700A to power the front soundstage of my HT (replacing the Denon 5700's amps for that function) for quite some time now. See my comments on my HT web site for details.

In a nutshell, well worth doing, espcially if your speakers are of 4 ohm impedance. There is, to me, a notable difference in the sound.

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

thanks for all the replys, fellas

Let's say I don't get those marantz monoblocks...what's another good stereo amp or pair of amps that I can find used for under $400-500 that compare to the marantz monoblocks' flexibility and reputation?

(happy 1,200 posts!)

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Not sure if the Parasound mono's are available still but they are out there for about that same amount of money.

I know that Steven Simon(moderator) uses these. I think Audio Advisor sells them or did at one time.

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Shane, I just checked out reviews for the Parasound 1201A, and the reviews are awful...ground loop, DOA, burnt circuits...

I found a pair of these cheap. Should I still take em?

I can always cancel.

12. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

Chuck,

i just purchased an ATI 1502 amplifier for $350 including shipping. At this price point, it's a no brainer. The 7 year warranty from what i understand is fully transferable since ATI goes by the serial numbers for warranty purposes. The build quality is high on these amp and the sound is nothing less than refined. Let's say i am selling my MA500 monoblocks right now to upgrade to this amp.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chuck,

I have no experience with them myself but you might ask around for further info from people who have bought them.

14. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Thanks for all the replies, guys...I may just say "screw trying to find a once in a blue moon deal", and pick up the highly rated audiosource amp3 at jandr.com

Whatchya'll think?