Does anyone have either of these RPTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I am looking at getting eather the Sony 65" KDP-65XBR2 or the 60" KF-60DX100 Grand Vega.I have looked at both of these tv and are both pretty nice the Grand vega is awsom but are they really worth that kinda money? Im leaning more twards the grand vega but at 8 bills right now I dont know if it's really worth it.I wont be getting eather one for a few months so hopefully the price will go down some by then.

Anyway dose anyone have eather one that they can offer an opion on,Im pretty much a sony only person but I have looked at the pioneer elete rptv's and they are pretty impressive also would one of these be a better set? Im trueley lost at what to go with this will be my first rptv and I wont it to be a good one. Thanks for any help...

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I've had experience with both of them (not in my own home, tho). It's really a matter of taste/lifestyle and consideration for the future. MYRIAD of factors are involved when deciding between these 2 sets:

1) Which one is the appropriate one for your HT room/setup? If you are limited in space and/or you might not have the room to even FIT a 65" through the door (such as my case), you may have to decide to go smaller or go with the Grand Wega.

2) Either model WILL BE THE CENTER of ATTENTION of your HT room. Both are big but the KDP65XBR2 will have a bigger footprint. I don't believe that the Grand Wega can be hung on a wall, although you may be able to customize a bracket that can hold it.. The Grand Wega will give the appearance of more space in the room, but if you get the matching table stand for it, it will take up close to the same amount of floor space as the 65XBR2. If you have a dedicated room for HT, just go for the larger screen - 65" XBR2

2) With all of the lights off, watching a DVD movie, you're defintely going to get a better, smoother picture with the 65XBR2 simply because its a CRT vs. LCD situation. For me, SIZE makes a more dramatic difference than "less than perfect" blacks. But, in this case the CRT option (65"XBR2) is already bigger than the Grand Wega so this is not a factor. Again, I'm going with the 57" XBR2 because I can't fit a 65", but I would prefer the larger Grand Wega (it can fit because it's so thin) because I get a larger screen size for my 90% movie viewing, even at the cost of picture quality.

3) ATSC receiver is built in to the 65 XBR2 - You only have an analog tuner in the Grand Wega. Not a big issue since there is limited HD programming, but you may have to spend an additons $500+ to get HD on the Grand Wega (For those who have $7K+, what's another $500?)

If I had another $2k to spend, I would go for the Grand WEGA for MYSELF. (I work for Sony so I can get dealer cost minus a couple of points)

If I can FIT the 65" XBR2, I would go for the 675XBR2 because I prize SCREEN SIZE above anything else. Like I said - the RPTV is the Centerpiece of my HT room - the THRONE, the MAIN SCULPTURE, the MONA LISA, etc... Therefore, it doesn't matter to me how much space I'm saving with an LCD screen. If you want a lower profile piece, the Grand Wega is more stylish, but I suspect the WOW factor will still draw alot of attention in that direction.

So my advise - take some measurements in your room. Look at the surrounding decor and size of your equipment rack next to the area where your display will be placed. Ask your significant other what she would prefer. If possible, lean toward the less expensive piece (65"XBR2) because of the proven technology of RPTVs and the continuing drop in prices and improvements to newer technologies like LCD screen. But if STYLE and decor are paramount, the you won't regret the Grand Wega.

Elbert

3. Joe Tilley

Elbert, Thanks for the reply, ok let me just go back on one thing you said if Im understood you right that the 65" XBR will have a better picture Grand vega. Another thing you said was it dosent have built in HDTV if thats true theres no way Im gonna spend that kinda money on it.Ive got plenty of room eather way I go (or at least I will make the room)so size is not a big issue really.My biggest thing with the Grand was I really liked the way it looks except the stand I thank that thing looks awfull, I had planned on building my own stand for it if I went that route.

4. Elbert Lee

Joe - Looks like the 65" XBR2 is your ticket. THe only reason to even consider the Grand Wega is the LOOK and if the 65"XBR2 will absolutely look HORRIBLE in your room(garish, ugly, stick out too much, etc.) - it has to look unbearable in your eyes, that is..

But yes - you will most definitely get a better picture with a CRT-base rear projection TV like the XBR2 since LCD technology is still years behind. The GRAND WEGA is HD READY, but you need to add a separate ATSC tuner, while the 65XBR2 has an ATSC digital TV tuner built into the rear. All you have to do is hit the "ANT" button on your remote to toggle between UHF/VHF reception (public and Digital broadcasts) and CABLE (if you subscribe to Cable TV).

If you purchase the Grand Wega and purchase separate ATSC tuner, you will have to change INPUTS to view Digital Television broadcasts since the outboard ATSC tuner is connected to the Grand Wega via component video cables.

ELbert

5. Brandon Eaton

Brandon Eaton Auditioning

I disagree regarding picture quality. Having viewed both many times I've liked the grand wega's picture with a high-def signal and certain DVDs. On other DVDs I'd call it a draw. With a satellite feed last night I liked the XBR2 more. If you are going to spend >$6,000 check out both TVs with multiple sources and multiple picture modes. I'd even try and adjust the picture myself with both TVs if they let you. In the end it is what you like not what technology should look better.

Feature wise the XBR2 is the hands down winner. It can display 720p in 720p (not 480p like the grand wega), it has a firewire connection, and it has a built in tuner.

By the way, neither have a DVI connection. You might want to hold off until next year for some Sony's with DVI.

6. Elbert Lee

Everyone's got their opinion. I am impressed with the Grand Wega, but it's still LCD and, regardless of the amount of progress made in LCD technology, it still has the same disadvantages in picture compared to RPTVs. It does look VERY GOOD in HD.

Also, you have to be aware that the light element on the Grand Wega needs to be changed every 2000-5000 hours - cost is $200.

Elbert

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Joe- for $8K , I would seriously investigate front projection; you can get a dynamite FPTV setup that will easily trump the Grand Wega or the XBR in size and picture quantity for that amount. Depending on your situation, RPTV may be a better choice, but at that price point FPTV should certainly be looked at.

8. Elbert Lee

You could get into a Front Projector, however, as with the case for people arguing about getting cheaper separates over higher end receivers, there are significant size value advantages, but also at the expense of convenience. You can't just flip a switch and start flipping channels. Fan noise and convenience was a major factor in my decision to stay with a RPTV until I build a dedicated HT room. I have no doubt that I will get a projector sometime in the future, but it wouldn't work well in my application.

If you are doing a significant amount of movie watching with very little television, front projectors worthy of consideration. Be warned that it's tough to just "pass down to your cousin" as it's more of a specialized product. Also, in the $8k range, you'll have to consider a cheaper front projection (DLP, LCD), while not bad, which have the usual performance trade offs compared to the full blown CRTS. On the other hand a properly calibrated RPTV will have few if any downsides.

Elbert

9. Joe Tilley

Thanks for everyones reply I think I will be going with the 65"XBR there is no way I can do front projection right now though Id love to do that,my room layout simpley would not work.I will how ever be building a theater room soon within the next year hopefully and will be building to accomadate a front projector to add later on in the next few years.I would like to get one now but I wont to save for awhile so I can get a good one so the RPTV is my seditave for now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Mom alaways told me not to do drugs but I did & that was easy to quit,I just wish she would have warned about doing HOME THEATER cause I just cant stop going back for more[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]