What's new

Does anyone have DVD-A and SACD? (1 Viewer)

Rob_b

Agent
I am in the market for a new DVD player. I am currently wating for the new universal players to come out so I can play both DVD-a and SACD.

I was thinking about just getting the RP-91 or Denon-3800 for DVD-A and get a SACD player later.

Then it occured to me that my reciever can't handle two sets of 5.1 in. Now I have to wait for that universal player.

If you own both as seperates how to you have them setup?

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the RP-91 and SCD-CE775. They're connected to the Sony TA-P9000ES.

The Sony has two 5.1 inputs, plus a 5.1 and 2 channel bypass.

On input 1, I have the RP-91, on input 2 I have the 775 and on the 5.1 channel bypass I have my Lexicon MC-1 connected. Then I just connected the preouts from the Sony to my amps.

If I want to listen to DVD-A I press input 1, SACD press input 2 and for home theater press 5.1 bypass. It's a pretty nice unit.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have a Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player and Sony SCD-C555ES multi-channel SACD player in my home-theater set-up. My receiver only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. To get around this, I use two Radio Shack A/V switch boxes. You can get both for $30. The Radio Shack part number is 15-1952. Search this board for '15-1952' for more on how these switch boxes are used. They are cheap, and I have not observed degradation of sound quality.

Westly T

Second Unit
From my post http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63891
Mine was very close to this, except I don't use a switch, and because I was on a budget I connected the two sets of input cables directly to the box without the RCA plugs. Doing this allowed me to use three sets of RCA cables cut in half in place of 6 sets and three times as many RCA jacks. This saved me allot as the RCA cables are very expensive while if anything it would improve sound quality, but it added allot of time to the project.
Another option:
The Sony TA-P9000ES 5.1 Preamplifier:
ta-p9000es_rear.jpg

ta-p9000es.jpg

Click here for a closeup of the face.
Sources for this unit include Oade Brothers and Crutchfield.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Rob, the Pioneer DV-47A is a universal player that's been out for a couple of months now and can be had for less than $750-900. It's garnering good reviews from most HT mags although user reviews of SACD quality are mixed. I have one and like it, but don't have any reference to compare it to in terms of DVD-A and SACD sound quality. I specifically purchased it as an audio-only player because I did not want to deal with a switch or an extra component. I plan on eventually getting the audio stage modified by Dan Wright or EVS and I believe with the mods, the sonics should be pretty solid.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Depending on overall budget, Marantz will have a universal player as well, the DV-8300.

It is reported to be based on the Pioneer DV-47As video stage, with Marantz' own analog stage.

IMO, it's the analog stage following the DACs that is of greatest importance in a players sonic quality.

Regards,

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Pioneer Elite DV-47A & am extremely satisfied with the DVD-audio & SACD on this player. I am also happy with the video on this player. Great picture & sound. You can't beat it for the price. You can get it at Soundpros.com for $735.00

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, from what I have heard, the Marantz DV-8300 will sell for around $2000.

DuaneN

Auditioning
I own the Denon 1600 (Hopefully the 3800 soon!) and the Sony 555ES....it has definately been a pain to switch them back and forth....

I am definately still in search for a cost effective solution (ICBM with two inputs please!!!!) but want to make sure that it is a quality component.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I bought the Pioneer last weekend. I'm really happy with it, though I may re-hookup the Toshiba 6200 for DVD-V. I'm either "used to" the image from the Toshiba or I just like it better, not sure.

DVD-A and SACD are both terrific. The DVD-A's I have seem to "fill the room" better, and I have heard that SACD playback is not as good on this player. The SACD sound is far from flat, though, and to me still sounds wonderful, just different. When and if a digital standard is approved for SACD and if/when the Anthem is upgradable to this standard, I may look into a good SACD transport. But only if I'm really convinced by then that it will improve the sound significantly.

I'm tired, and I'm rambling. I like the Pioneer a lot for both. That's what I'm trying to say.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have an RP-91 and a Sony DSPN-650 hooked into a Denon AVR-5803. The 5803 has two analog ins that allows much flexibility with the signal.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

No problem.

All,

Regarding Duane's situation, obviously Outlaw does not yet make an ICBM that can switch between devices (it's time for an ICBM-2). However, has anyone tried to pair Radio Shack's A/V switch boxes (part number 15-1952) with the current ICBM? That would allow you to switch between sources and then apply bass management. It could be a bit messy to set up (cables), but it could work. As I have said many times here, I use the Radio Shack switch boxes and have not noticed any sound degrdation. They work quite well, and two boxes are only $30.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

For the moment I'm doing exactly that.

It works well enough, other than having to walk over to the system and toggle between input A and input B. I haven't heard any sonic degradation with the switch vs straight to the ICBM, but I also haven't spent 4 or 5 hours changing over between listening with the switch in the signal path, and the switch out of the signal path.

Warning, the spacing is tight on the connectors, and you could have problems with some of the larger RCA plugs that audiophile cables tend to have.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the info. I might consider trying the Outlaw unit for $250 to see if it makes a difference in my system. I don't feel as though I am starved for bass right now (I have small speakers all around), but I might try it anyway. Then again, I might wait to see if Outlaw (or anyone else) introduces a second-generation unit with switching capabilities.

PomingF

Second Unit
With the Pioneer being my first venture into the Hi-Rez formats I won't know how it compares but the growing number of favorable reviews helps. It's compatibility is amazing for so far it has no problem playing everything (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD-R, CD-RW, etc.) I throw @ it yet. Also waiting for Dan's mod to be finalized.
My solution for the Bass Management problem - no, not the ICBM but upgrading my rear/surround speakers to near full range. :)
PF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks