What's new

Does anyone have any details on the Samsung T150. i.e, quality, going price? (1 Viewer)

I just heard about this decoder and wanted to get more details on it. I'll be getting the Toshiba 50HX81 in Oct and would love to be watching HDTV by then. Can anyone help me out I'm new to this area so any help would be greatly appreciated. I currently have standard cable and will not be getting DSS anytime soon. (no SW exposure from my apartment)
thanks
------------------
My System:
Mains-PSB 6T
Center-PSB 9C
Surrounds-Rock Solids
Sub-Klipsch KSW-15
Receiver-Sony STR-DE825
DVD Player-Sony DVP 550D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Mine is on the way. I should have it on Thursday. I am very picky about what I get, and it looks like it has enough sockets to keep me happy. :) I've been told that you can watch a show in HD, and tape it at 480i.
Can't wait to tell catv where they can put their's, and my only concern is getting the new signals.
As for the price, $600 is easy to do, $550. or so is better, but I think that you'll find them all out of stock, and the reliability of some on-lines - well, lets just say that I'm going to pass on them.
Glenn

How does regular cable fit into the whole picture? Will I still need an addtional antenna if I have cable?
[Edited last by Jonathan Trueh on September 03, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
Is your cable system carrying your local HDTV stations? Are they using the OTA 8VSB standard or the cable 256QAM standard (or both)?
(If 8VSB most OTA boxes will work, 256QAM requires a box that is compatable, typ provided by the cable company).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I purchased a SIR-T150 a few weeks ago from bhphoto.com for $514 delivered. Samsung was offering a $100 rebate as well, so the final price was very reasonable. Unfortunately, the rebate program ended 8/31.
So far, I have been pleased with the tuner. The only quirks I have found are that the program guide is very slow to acquire data (not a big deal, since only two Detroit stations are listed in the guide anyway), and some audio garbling on CBS occasionally that requires either a slight antenna reposition or a few channel up/down exercises.
The tuner only receives digital signals, so you cannot use it to view analog NTSC broadcasts. In our area, though, 6 of 7 local stations (not including the Windsor, Ontario station) are transmitting a digital signal, so this is not an issue for me. Our cable system is not transmitting any DTV signals, so I am using an amplified indoor antenna for all DTV broadcasts.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Gary_E

Second Unit
One aspect of this unit that goes unmentioned is that it does not have a fan. It does not run hot and only uses 40 watts of power. I've had mine for a few weeks and love it. Hell, I'm even watching opera on PBS.
-Gary

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Scott- I am in the Detroit area too. Do you use this box in conjunction with Direct TV? The specs that I read on the 150 made no mention of Direct TV (as the Sony, Toshiba and RCA models do). I am currently on Comcast and thinking about upgrading to Dish for HD and am wondering what my options are aside from the Dish equipment. What stations are broadcasting in digital around here? I know CBS does occassionally.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Carl is correct. The Samsung is OTA-only and will not support DirecTV or DISH networks.
Tommy, I also have Comcast (formerly Mediaone) cable in Plymouth, and they are not broadcasting any digital TV on the cable system. If they ever decide to transmit HDTV using 8VSB encoding, the Samsung would be able to receive that signal as well. I wouldn't plan on Comcast doing this any time soon, though.
------------------
My DVD Collection

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Therefore, in order to get HD HBO or other premium channels you would have to get one of the Direct TV integrated HDTV boxes (i.e. the Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, or RCA)? I am thinking I would make the transition from Cable to DBS when I am ready to purchase one of the STBs on the market.
Any of you in the same boat as me and watching the prices on these things know of a place to get the best prices? They are all close to $700 from what I've seen. When I can get one for $300-$450 I'll be ready to buy.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Tommy, you are right. They are a bit high right now. The Samung model is for locals only, but if you do any kind of recording while watching another show, you're going to need two. $$$ - ouch!
Glenn

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Samsung was a good option for me, since a satellite dish is not very cost effective for us (we have 6 TV's connected to cable, and also have a cable modem for Internet service). If you think a dish is in your future, then look elsewhere. I had actually planned on waiting longer before buying a stb, but the Samsung was too low a price ($414) to pass up with CBS broadcasting college football this fall in HDTV.
------------------
My DVD Collection

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Scott- all the football being aired in HD as well as CBS committment to the format definitely make it tempting!

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
The $100 rebate may be extended. I was in Audio King this weekend looking for the unit. They have them in stock and the sales guys showed me an Audio King ad for it coming out on 9/11/01 that included the rebate ($499). So maybe they know something we don't.
But, on the way out I saw a demo of HDnet playing. It was a broadcast of a baseball game and it looked GREAT! This has made me reconsider OTA only. I'm interested in programming over satellite, but not all that interested in HBO movies in HD. I never watch HBO since I'm a DVD junkie. But if other channels were broadcasting, like sports, it would make a difference.
Hmmmmm....
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks