Does anyone have an account with a courier?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm going to be making fairly frequent orders from a company in Hong Kong and I'm wondering how setting up an account works with couriers. Is there a monthly fee? And aside from UPS, which courier is the best to go with? I guess there aren't that many to choose from. I know there is Fedex and DHL. I think Fedex is out of my price range however.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've shipped a few things for work lately with fedex internatinal economy, it seemed pretty inexpensive. Not sure how it stacks up to UPS though, but I wouldn't rule them out.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

With UPS, you can set up an account online. You should get an example together and compare rates. If the goods are going to you, you might want to ask the shipper because they might have a preference.

Glenn

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

So the company in Hong Kong is going to be shipping to you? If so, you might be better off letting them use their regular shipping service. Companies that ship a lot of items get a very large discount from carriers and it might end up being more expensive trying to handle things yourself.

As mentioned, you can go online and set up an account, but overseas shipping with Fedex, UPS etc is going to be fairly expensive. I found that in shipping from the U.S. to other countries, that Global Priority mail from the Post Office was about the best way to go, and it may be that having the companies ship through their postal service will work out best.

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I've ordered from them before and they wanted my account number for shipping. This isn't a retailer, they are a manufacture and I'm the distributor. So it's a little different.

UPS is a terrible company. I don't know about in the states, but they charge there own special handling fee for bringing packages into Canada. This has nothing to do with taxes or duty but it is based on the amount of the declaration.

Anyway, maybe I will look into Fedex. Thanks!

Jeff