does anyone have a transcript of Kevin Smith's bashing of Magnolia?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ryan L. Bisasky, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

Now, I love magnolia, but have heard alot about how he ripped the movie to death, and was wondering if anyone knew where i could find his review. I checked google, and it only mentions other articles talking about it, but not linking it.

2. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

Found this:
    Kevin Smith on Magnolia
    I'm a big fan of both of them.
    And didn't Anderson 'wish' testicluar cancer on David Fincher?

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

[​IMG] Ah I love Kevin Smith, he is rare for someone in the industry, unafraid to say what he feels.

4. Ryan L. Bisasky

Found this:
    Kevin Smith on Magnolia
    I'm a big fan of both of them.
    And didn't Anderson 'wish' testicluar cancer on David Fincher?

i found that site link also, but i wondered if anyone had the original review he posted on his board.

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Yeah, PTA did wish cancer on Fincher. I find it absurd that Kevin Smith's legitimate criticism of "Magnolia" is more notorious than PTA's personal curse on another director. I understand that PTA had just lost his father to cancer and he was offended by the comedic treatment of cancer in "Fight Club" but it was flat-out immature and hipocritical to wish a deadly disease upon Fincher. I'm not 100% sure but I believe PTA later apologized to Fincher. In any case, I'm a big fan of all three directors (Smith, Anderson and Fincher) but I have to blame Anderson in the "Anderson vs. Fincher" thing and Anderson's fans in the "Magnolia" controversey.

6. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I agree more with Smith the more I see Magnolia.

7. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

Now, all we need is for Anderson to post a similar retort to Jersey Girl, although that one is probably too easy.

8. Ryan L. Bisasky

Here's what Kevin said on the "Evening with..." dvd

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Isn't there a second An Evening With Kevin Smith coming out? I must get that one too.

10. Ryan L. Bisasky

either some time this year or very early next year.

11. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I actually don't think he ever really "reviewed" Magnolia proper, at least not in an official capacity. I think the comments in the link are what sparked the semi-contoversy. I could be wrong.

12. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Hey, there's another Kevin Smith spoken word dvd coming out???? Really? That would be awesome.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I remember KS saying hed seen it, I thought at a film festival,and said it was the most pretentious film he'd ever seen.

I like some of KS movies, but sorry he doesnt have PTA's talent. With Jersey Girl,Dogma & J&SBSB(which I think is funny, but its not a good movie) is his credits, he shouldnt criticize other peopel work publicly.

IMHO anyway.

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    He never 'reviewed' it. He called it pretentious (I agree), and bashed the "Treat me right" scene and next thing you know it was all over the place.

I disagree with Jon - I don't know a single film critic who has the talents of PTA, but they all criticize film publicly AND get paid to do it.

I don't have the talent of PTA. But, I love BOOGIE NIGHTS and despise MAGNOLIA.

15. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I agree with Quentin. Who better to critique film than those that are directly involved with it. How many times has someone told me to "go make a better film then" when I criticized a film?

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Also, JonZ, you realize that what you said is almost exactly (well, maybe not exactly but fairly close) what was said to him on his boards & the basis of his rant:

Emotionally driven Rant or not (and it was), very true.[​IMG]

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have never been too impressed with Boogie Nights, but I think Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love are brilliant. I also have never liked anything Kevin Smith has ever done, but that post Kevin copied above has me respecting him a lot more. I don't like his movies, but I'd sure as hell like to sit down and talk with him.

18. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

That's why you need to see An Evening With Kevin Smith. As for his movies, at least give Chasing Amy a try.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Also, JonZ, you realize that what you said is almost exactly (well, maybe not exactly but fairly close) what was said to him on his boards & the basis of his rant"

Im going to try to choose my words wisely here (but Im sure will not get the proper point across)

Im not a "P.T. Anderson apostle". I love Hard Eight, really like Punch Drunk Love and like Magnolia and Boogie Nights(which to me has aged the worse of his films).I think PTA has ALOT of talent and I think his best work is still ahead (and yes I think he can be very pretentious).IMHO hes prob one the 5 most talented directors out there. I wish he'd work on something someone else wrote,instead of only his own creations, becuase I think hes capable of really big things.

From my experience, artistic people are either their own worst critics or their own biggest admirers. Having gone to art school and knowing a few professinal artists,I couldnt count how many times I been near a artist who will say something else stinks or be critical of someone elses work when they "cant do better themselves".(which is simply a matter of opinion)

Everyone has a opinion, and it entitled to it.I was simply commented on what I remember Smith saying - it was pretentious and it was self indulgent(using using studio money to tell his personal story)Which makes KS sound like a hypocrite(Jersey Girl). Most artist do autobiographical work.

I didnt mean it as a mean comment towards Smith - whos humor I really do like(hes even made fun of his directing abilites and said hes a writer first). I think hes smart and is capable of making good movies.

But Smith has been critical of alot of people publicly,didnt he also say "fuck Tim Burton" in front of a group of fans while siging autographs.Such comments and humor is definitely aimed at a certain fanbase,but hey, if youre gonna dish it out youd better be prepared to take criticism yourself.

Again IMHO

"That's why you need to see An Evening With Kevin Smith"

Which I do plan on picking up.

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I said I don't like his movies. How did you draw the conclusion I haven't seen any of them? I've seen Chasing Amy and I still haven't liked any of his movies.