Does anyone get depressed over the end of the tv season...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, May 19, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have always felt bad at the end of the tv season. I guess it feels like another year has gone by. And we see shows and characters we grow accustomed to seeing over the years end. My wife thinks it has to do with us and our kids getting older and this just reminds us of it.

At least I have gotten some new dvd's to watch over the summer. [​IMG]

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep, I know that feeling. I have sort of a cure for it, though.

I watch all of the shows that I didn't watch since last September. It's like starting all over again. The good part to this is that if a show got cancelled, it won't air at all. You'll only get to see the shows that have been renewed for this fall.

So, if you don't like the season coming up, you can just continue watching what you have been watching all summer.

Glenn

3. Darren Conroy

Darren Conroy Stunt Coordinator

Depends on the emotional factor written into the show. But I personally don't feel that sting of the rush of time as much as watching new seasons end as I do watching an old favorite.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

No way. It means I can finally crack open the box sets that have been piling up! [​IMG]

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Not as much as I used to when there were lots of shows I loved on (Friends, Buffy, Angel, Arrested Development). I used to use the summers to catch up on the shows I missed (like The West Wing and L&O), but now networks hardly show reruns during the summer (prefering more lame reality shows instead).

6. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I only get sad about the shows that I'm really into...for instance, I was sad to see Veronica Mars end for the year because I really looked forward to it each week, especially as the season went on, and I will miss having that treat every Tuesday night.

On the other hand, I'm glad to have my Tuesday nights back, so I guess there is a silver lining [​IMG]

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, I'm kinda glad, because it means I have my evenings back to watch movies. [​IMG]

Jason

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I feel kind of relieved that I have the time to catch up on my HUGE backlog of DVDs (and perhaps pick up a book or two). However, I'm very sad about my series which are not coming back, "Jack & Bobby" and "Joan of Arcadia". [​IMG]

9. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Shoot, I'm still numb over the cancellation of Angel.

10. Valerie G.

Valerie G. Stunt Coordinator

I would have to say yes, I do get kind of depressed when I think about nothing being on until Sept or Oct. What's worse though, is when the networks announce the fall schedule and make you once again question yourself, "Why do I even bother watching if they are just going to get cancelled?"

And yes, I'm still extremely bitter about Joan of Arcadia. And the other casualites, Judging Amy, JAG, and American Dreams. But Joan is the worst blow of all.

Going back to the topic at hand, I will miss my shows during the summer. While I do have quite a few DVD sets I need to watch, somehow it's just not quite the same. [​IMG]

11. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

For Joan, do you think we'll ever learn more about what would have happened next season with Ryan Hunter?

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'll never understand this focus on what people don't have as opposed to what they have. It's silly.

Besides, I'm bummed that there won't be any more episodes of Eyes made, but it was good enough that I'm sure McNamara, Daly, Langer, et al will find other good work.

13. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I was just thinking about this sort of thing yesterday after the OC finale. You become invested in characters over 8 months, and then become sad when you won't be able to spend time with them for 4 or 5 months. And yes, it also reminds us that yet another year has gone by, etc. I always appreciate the chance to zone out for an hour or two after a stressful day of class or work, and forget about the day's troubles.

However, it will be good to have the late nights freed up for movies, as someone else has already pointed out [​IMG]

14. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

It gives me a chance to watch many of my DVD movies & TV box sets. Something I usualy don't have the time to do durring the Fall/Winter time.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

More sleep for me.

16. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

You know, with Neilsen Media Research seriously looking at increasing the number of metering boxes for monitoring TV viewing from 1,200 to as many as 50,000 and going to what amounts to sweeps level monitoring for the entire year (both of which are within technical reach), the very idea of a TV "season" starting in September and ending in May could be gone by 2010.

We could end up seeing (for example) TV series with "seasons" starting in January-February and ending next December-January; also, TV series could have seasons as short as 13 episodes. As a result, TV during the summer could end up consisting of almost as much original programming as during the "regular" TV season we have now.

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Unlikely. Networks don't program reruns and inexpensive unscripted programming during the summer because Nielsen's not monitoring viewership, but because the total audience is much lower, with people traveling or taking part in outdoor activities.

18. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Jason Seaver, you wrote:

I kind of disagree on that. After all, the first season of Survivor on CBS started as a summer show and that became a huge hit, so it proves that if the shows are good you could start it almost any time of the year and get decent ratings.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do you have the ratings stats for the early seasons of TAR? TAR got more love from CBS as it started winning Emmys a few seasons ago, not because it necessarily was pulling in great summer ratings (I don't recall them being that great).

Now, it held its own on a busy Tuesday night for 2005.

20. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I'm still awaiting the beginning of "The Inside" on June 8th. That should provide some fun for 2 weeks before it's cancelled by FOX... [​IMG]