Does anyone else think broadband games stink?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Scotts, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Stunt Coordinator

OK, just to let everyone know what I'm talking about here, it's in reference to all games you play via broadband. I'm not a kid or teen and find myself thinking why are these games so great? Maybe if I was a young teen or kid I would have a different view of it because of my time. But I for one don't have countless hours (and frankly neither should those in school) to spend on-line playing games. Here are my pet peeves about multi-player broadband games:

1. Too hard to match up with others. Everything from server issues (latency, etc.) to finding players that are nice to play with.

2. I'm loosing so I quite on you. How many times I can not count that I've tried to get a partner for playing and when they start to loose they quit right in the middle.

3. Mostly kids/teens playing. Grown-ups hardly have the time required to become a master at Quake Arena, Unreal Championship, etc. Therefore many don't want to play with you or they have poor personal conduct when playing.

4. Lack of anything good except Battlefield 1942 recently. While multi-player games are nice, their novelty wear off due to lack of anything truly new. Fragin just isn't what it used to be because it was new back then, now it's just more of the same.

That's why I was wondering if anyone else feels this way too? Don't get me wrong, a good LAN party hosted at ones house with over a home network is still great fun for a get together. But broadband internet play, for me at least, is not fun anymore. Maybe it's because I don't have the time to just sit down at random when possible and join a game of any skill level. But I truly think the novility has worn off some time ago. I find myself longing for single player games to return to their old form. A few good ones recently have cropped up (freedom force, NOLF2 and some sports titles) and at least Doom III is on the way. Single player games offer some of the best game play in my view, plus the fact you can play at your own time and don't need to be a master to play it.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've been saying for 2-3 years that online games are not all they are cracked up to be. I started with network doom on a lan and that was a blast because it was new. Then did some network flight sims, that was ok. The best current (well its not current but still played a whole lot) is CounterStrike. If you can find a server without a bunch of cheaters which is really hard because there are so many cheaters, it can be a blast. I guess sports games 'could' be fun, but not very. Gaming with someone across the country still sounds like an awesome idea, but about 95% of the time it doesn't end up being so.

3. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

If you play online computer games, find a couple servers either run by a clan or an experienced gamer. It shouldn't take too long to find a couple servers with good admins that don't put up with poor sportsmanship, cheating, and spamming.

If you play onling console games, I have a couple suggestions. If you play sports games, join a league. If you play FPS/strat/fighting, find an organization/league to join (not quite the same as a sports league playing a season). Either way, you'll find that these groups don't tolerate cheaters/quitters/whiners and the quality of gaming is much greater.

Sure it's fun to play random people, but then you have to accept the risk of playing against some immature ass that doesn't care what you think of him/her. Put a little bit of effort into joining a group of people that game together regularly and you'll enjoy gaming much more.

4. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I second what Daren said. My online experience is much more enjoyable when playing the a bunch of HTF people.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Actually I'd be fascinated to know what people who don't have an HTF-forum type group to fall back on end up thinking of X-Box Live in a few months.

Great concept, but I'd never do it if there wasn't a group like this one to play with. Counter-Strike is addictive still today, but the amount of cheating and assholish behavior just makes it no fun at all. I haven't played it in months just because every time I go back, same thing. Cheaters.

It'll happen with XBL eventually too, not to take the hardline cynic's viewpoint. But there will always be that segment of players that gets no better thrill than screwing up your good time. And I think that's a monster problem in PC gaming right now, and something that will become a major issue in the X-Box's future. And any online system for that matter, but the Box is my example since it's the one with the most prominent on-line scheme at the mo'.

6. EdR

EdR Second Unit

This reminds me of a rather funny, if a bit sad, episode I read on allxbox.com...here's the snippet:

7. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Well, sure the HTF groups are great, but there are others out there. It's just convenient since there are some great coordinators here.

I do agree with you that cheating will eventually show up in console gaming, but I trust that MS is doing a great deal to prevent that. The modders shun MS for blocking modded Xboxen from Live, but I applaud MS. Obviously someone with a mod chip has the capability to cheat in some manner. If you want to mod, get a second stock Xbox to play on Live. Hopefully the folks in Redmond can keep on top of things and maintain the so-far cheat-free environment in Live.

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Well as the old saying goes, the worst part about playing online games is playing with other people. I agree that a lot of the people playing are morons who just want to try and make the game less fun for everyone else. Not much can be done about it really except to play with people you know and trust.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

11. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

12. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

[faux rant]
    The same sorts of things happen in the NFL2K3 games as well. People find Defenses that rush 8 or 9 and force you into something that isn't even football after 1 quarter.

People will always look for a hole in a game, or anything in life, to make themselves seem like they are more than they actually are.
    [/end faux rant]

Glen

13. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I don't have nearly as much online experience as you guys, but I won't even play MechAssault unless it is with HTF guys. The hosts run off far too frequently and the games are full of little punks that ruin the experience. MA used to be great, but I haven't played without HTF guys in months.

On the other hand, I find that Ghost Recon on Live is great. There are a few knuckleheads every now and then, but the host has the option to boot anyone. The lag can occassionally be an issue, but overall, the crowd is much more mature.

I rented Unreal and played it for about 3 minutes before experiencing the same problems as MA. I also rented Capcom v. SNK and had a MAJOR problem with people dropping mid-match. It's not perfect, but I really enjoy Live so far.

14. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I find that I just dont enjoy single player games nearly as much since I started playing online games.

Sure you get alot of punks that like to ruin the game for others, but every so often you get in a great game with other real players that no computer AI can come close to matching.

I rented Splinter Cell for Xbox a few weeks ago. It got good reviews, was supposed to be a great game. I played through half of it and gave up. It was so boring, the enemies would move exactly the same every time you replayed a mission. It became just a matter of trial and error...figuring out the trigger points for certain events and eventually clearing the level. I found it incredibley boring. When playing with humans, every game is different. To me that is much more enjoyable.

Jeff Peake

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have to agree with Jeff. It was only 5 months ago when I first started playing online games and it brings gaming to a new level. But there is a catch, you need some mature, decent gamers to play with.

The first month I played Battlefield 1942 I was a total n00b and had a lot to learn. I knew nothing of online gaming and how to use things like All Seeing Eye. I didn't know the online code of conduct nor the in game conduct. I wasn't using teamspeak or anything either in the first weeks. Then I found a gaming community www.wolfservers.com . An excellent community with team orientated play. They started using teamspeak just after I joined and now none of us could imagine not playing without it. We have had no problems at all with members using the voice program. People must become a member of Wolf before they use our teamspeak so they understand the rules and we know that they want a good gaming expierience. And if there is a problem with voicechat its easy to kick and ban a player. But this just hasn't happened.

I almost did give up on this game and the whole online thing. Then I found a good group of people enjoying games and treating each other with respect (like we do here at HTF). When the actual gaming server is public the idiots that curse and flame constantly in the chat and play like smacktards in game are warned, kicked and then banned. We try to keep it clean and fun for all. And for the most part, it works.

And I will never go back to shooting bots again.

16. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I have been addicted to BF1942 since it came out (and the new patch...I mean expansion set...makes the addiction worse). While real effective team work is rare in the game, I haven't found people that cheat and the usual screw ups that get on to make life bad just seem to be pretty rare. Maybe it is luck, but so far so good. There is the usual whining "that was MY tank!" and the random tk-er, but many servers now kick team killers off, as well as dumping high pings. I wish there was a better way to note if those functions are up and running on a server. The TK one is the greatest, though. It gives a couple chances (who of us hasn't taken a few partners out with a misplaced artillery hit). More games need this feature.

Phil

17. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Stunt Coordinator

Actually we have gotten a bit off topic as to why broadband gaming stinks. I can somewhat understand about the points made if you have a good server/group to play with. However, what I was referring to is the general scope of how dull on-line multi-player gaming is. Plus, I have seen posts here that mention some sort of "teamspeak" or lingo the player groups have. This brings me back to my points in the first post:

1. Most on-line players are kids/teens or those without REAL day jobs. Posting takes little time of the evening, compared to learning a new game and looking for some quick play on a network. No one with a real job has time to learn all the lingo or tech speak for a certain game. They just want to play and darn all the baggage that comes from it.

2. Broadband play is just bad most of the time. Have a computer LAN party at your house, if you have a home network, is the way to go for multi-player gaming. You know whom you invite and obviously they are people that aren't idiots like on the net.

3. Single player games can be WAY better than multi-player. All we have now are basically variations on shooters for the most part and some sports/racing games. It gets old real quick (at least for me.) Doom was a GREAT single-player game. It's that type of style we need, not more of the same. Granted Battlefield 1942 is good, but that's about it.

I still think there is WAY too much hype over broadband play. Sure, kids/teens think it's cool, but I think the novility will wear off. At least it did for me.

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

From my perspective:

1) Statistics show the average age of gamers now is in the mid-twenties so I'm not sure if even most online players are kids/teens. I am sure the most vocal are however the "silent majority" is out there.

2) With a little skill and a little luck, you can find the right people - friends lists and organizations make this even easier.

3) As has been mentioned above, no AI comes close to the human mind. How often have you figured out how the AI works and rendered the challenge of the game meaningless? As for genres, there are plenty of genres represented, if PC games are part of the equation. As for console games, they are coming.

19. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I use a 9pm rule. I will only play online with people I don't know after 9pm... it seems like most of the moron kids are in bed by then and I can actually get a good game [​IMG]

Mostly I just play with HTF guys though [​IMG]

20. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If a kiddie likes to run his mouth off just put your crosshairs on him/her until they either leave or shuts up. Teach em a lesson rather than sinking to their level. If the server is overrun with with wiseguys you're on the wrong server. Keep searching until you find one with admins who don't tolerate immature players.

Online gaming isn't a fad or novelty imo. It's here to stay and will only get bigger and more involving. My biggest gripe with it is cheating but they only make us non-cheaters stronger. [​IMG]