Does Anyone Else Hate "Compilation" Style Previews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Larry Talbot, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I love movie previews, always have, ever since I was a kid watching them in the theater (that is, as long as they don't give away major plot points, of course). Having my own theater in my house hasn't changed this - when I rent a disc that has a previews option I'm always happy, even if everybody else waiting to watch the actual movie isn't...
    But, I HATE what I call "compilation" previews on DVDs. I'm talking about those strobe-edited multi-film previews for films that have NOTHING in common except they were all released by the same studio. Look! Two seconds of "Fight Club" followed by two seconds of "Independence Day" followed by two seconds of "Forrest Gump" followed by whatever. (Yes, this is a made up example, but you get my drift.) If you're going to show a preview, show the DAMN preview, don't give me corporate branding with various frames of six completely unrelated movies all crammed together into a commercial mishmash.
    Yes, in the overall scheme of things, compilation previews don't rate that highly when it comes to wrongs-that-should-be-eliminated, but they bug me nonetheless.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

There are actually people who think if it comes faster and shorter, they're getting more value [​IMG]

I'm just glad to see you call them previews instead of trailers [​IMG]

3. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

Yuck, I hate that junk. It's annoying. I like how when you put in a Criterion DVD it just starts at the menu. But that's what you pay for with Criterion: a true commerical-free product where the extra features are not commercials to other films from the studio.

--Hans M.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I lov'em. They remind me of lesser versions of those academy theme based clips, played to some sappy sweeping music. Only here, as you said, the theme is the studio. Still, they are terrific.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Don't think of these as previews, as much as they are advertisements for the studio. They are really saying, "see how cool we are to have been the source of all these movies you love?"

It's their way of doing shameless self-promotion. Realize it for what it is, and you may be less bugged by it.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Are you ready for Fox DVD-Video?
    I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

8. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

That's it Skeen, that's the one I find most annoying...I couldn't quite remember it and I sure as hell wasn't going to go back and watch it again just to describe it, but you've captured it perfectly...

9. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I have to admit to really liking Universal's version of this multi-film preview clip, for two reasons: the music is just cool, and I like clips! And it opens with Clooney striking his lighter from Out of Sight, a fantastic and tragically under-rated and under-seen film.

OK, that's three reasons. You can blame American public education. [​IMG]

10. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

Remember the old Columbia preview they put on their early batch of DVDs? It had stuff like Close Encounters LONG before it was available on DVD. I let that one play out of nostalgia. All other auto-previews get skipped.

It's on my copies of Little Women and Dr. Strangelove (both the early releases).

EDIT: Another multi-preview that's well done is the one that graces all of the Universal Hitchcocks. I skip that one now, though, I've seen it too much.

11. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    The only one of these previews I like is the Universal one that preceded the Hitchcock releases...just to see if I could identify which film each snippet came from.

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

13. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

they're usually easy to skip, so who cares?"

Actually I've tried skipping past some and been unable to do so. And even if you can skip past them, they shouldn't start up by themselves in the first place. It would be one thing if these annoying clips were an OPTIONAL feature I could select if I wanted to, but instead they automatically start playing just like a commercial on TV.
    The reason I have to put up with commercials on TV is because TV is free. It is supported by advertising. Why should I have to put up with this shit on something I paid for? I spent my money to see the movie, not a commercial for a studio.
    As for as for your statement that "they're efficient for the studios and they potentially create excitement for the product," I have NO earthly idea why you think I - or anyone else, for that matter - should care about "studio efficiency," or consumers who get "excitement for the product" from three second clips. Maybe if I were a studio executive or an ad exec or somehow made my living off a studio, these aspects would matter to me, but in case you couldn't guess from my post, I don't work for a studio and I'm not an ad exec. So I couldn't care less.

14. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I like the "MGM means great movies" trailer, and it isn't forced, only a menu option.

15. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"I like the "MGM means great movies" trailer, and it isn't forced, only a menu option."

As long as they don't start up by themselves, I have no problem with them.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

18. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Does this mean you get irate if you find a flyer in the case that advertises something?"

Why would I get mad about that? All I have to do is throw the flyer away ONE time and I'll never have to deal with it again. It's not like the flyer will pop back into the case every time I open it, now is it?

"When you buy a magazine or a newspaper, do you get irate because they include ads?"

Magazines and newspapers - especially newspapers - are SUPPORTED by adds. Without the money from advertising the publishers could not afford to put out the publications, or they would be prohibitively expensive. Same thing with TV shows and advertising. That's NOT the case with DVD sales, where the profit comes from purchase or rental.
    But more importantly, when I read a magazine or newspaper I usually don't read it more than one or two times. They're disposable. Now I don't know about you, but I don't toss out my DVDs after I watch them once or twice. I keep them and watch them many times over the years - meaning I'm confronted with those stupid ads EVERY time I watch them - meaning they're much more annoying.
    So comparing them to ads in magazines and newspapers is way off.

"Hey, the other day I got a Big Gulp that advertised the Hulk movie - should I have gotten mad?"

Uh, I don't know what to tell you on that one. I guess that would have to be up to you. But I have some Yes or No questions to help you clarify the issue. A) Do you like looking at your Big Gulp cup repeatedly over time - the same way I like to screen my DVDs? B) If you do repeatedly like to look at your Big Gulp cup over time, do you prefer to look at it without the Hulk advertisement on it?

If you answered Yes, to both questions, then I guess the answer would be yeah, maybe you should have gotten mad. But then again, maybe you just shouldn't have bought a big Gulp Cup with an image of the Hulk on it in the first place, if that's how you feel. Couldn't you just buy a Big Gulp without the Hulk ad? I don't know, because I'm not partial to Big Gulps myself.
    By the way, just in case you don't realize this, I CAN'T buy versions of the DVDs I own without the forced adds I dislike. They all have them.

"Good for you - I didn't intend to communicate that these factors DID matter to you. I mentioned them to explain why the STUDIOS would like them and why the STUDIOS clearly think they're worthwhile..."

Yeah - no kidding. I assume the STUDIOS think they're just great, otherwise they wouldn't put them on DVDs in the first place, right? Your point seems - mmm, how should I put this? - really, REALLY obvious. Which is why I DIDN'T title my thread: "Gosh, I Wonder Why Studios Put those Compilation-Style Previews on DVDs?" I already know WHY they do it. MY thread was about how I find the practice annoying.
    If someone started a thread about how they find the forced FBI WARNING at the start of some tapes/DVDs annoying, are you going to write back and say: "But the studios like those warnings because they find them worthwhile in helping to stop illegal copying.."?

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

20. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"I'd agree with anyone who bitched about forced trailers/warnings/whatever. I hate that stuff. However, if they're easily skippable, I don't see the problem. But if you want to go nuts, have a ball!"

As I already said, as long as the damn things don't start up by THEMSELVES, I have no problem with them. If they're just another menu option I have no interest in, like Japanese subtitles or what-have-you, well hey - no problem. I just won't select them.
    But when I select "Play" for the movie I WANT to watch and one of those compilation previews starts up INSTEAD - that's annoying. I think the reason the studios do that is because they know if they left it as a selectable menu option, a lot of people like me would probably never select it. So they make it AUTOMATIC, forcing me to find the remote in the dark (often held by my girlfriend who still doesn't know where the chapter skip button is) to try to bypass them. That's annoying. If people like you want to watch such previews, fine, have fun. But they shouldn't be bound to and hidden behind the play movie option in the menu.