Does anyone else cringe everytime they watch Cheers now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Now that we've moved past the first few seasons on Nick-At-Night, we're now at the point in the series where David Angell produced the shows. Everytime I see his name I just wince.... [​IMG]

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I'll bite. Why?

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Oops. Sorry, I thought it was a given. David Angell and his wife were two of the passengers on one of the planes that hit the WTC on 9/11.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I cringe for a different reason: Cliff Clavin.

My god, is he the most annoying character in the history of annoying characters (David Spade, not included)? He, the coach, and Woody are the reasons I couldn't watch this show when it was on the air... oh, and I hate Sam Malone (his turn on Frasier, withstanding).

David Angell was a very talented man... it's too bad that Frasier is now a show so bad it's looking for someone to put it down like Tommy Kirk did Old Yeller.

5. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Along with "Finch" and the actor playing "Cliff" is/was so good and convincing, they ARE convincingly annoying!

All and all, I enjoy "Cheers", with the only false character to me, most of the time, being "Rebecca"...too forced a believable a character, let alone the actor's soulless performance. The only thing that worked with her, are the character's moments of complete insipidness...but I think that comes from the actress, not the writing! Just don't like her, period, in ANYTHING! She can't even hold interest doing a 30second Pier One Imports commercial, with her obscenely over-cologened lips!

"Nick Tortelli", his blonde wifey, and his offspring are extremely entertaining and ring true, even after all these years of repeated viewings.

With "Frasier", it's the complete rip-off, of Jack Benney character affectations that burn me about Kelsey G.. He truly is a one-note characterization actor...I hope he's saving his money ! "Niels" is a pure joy and I'm sure he will do more on his own, and live to livedown his association with the show!

Last I heard, "Daphney" and "Roz" have partnered to produce and develope the Dawn French BBC creation "The Vicar of Dibley", for our shores, in real life. Good material but I cringe at the thought of hearing "Daphney's" annoying accent for intermidable seasons in someone's bee-zarre idea of the American Tv version. God help us all, since I haven't heard of it since the one, initial announcement, maybe someone deep-sixed it! I can't see them having ANY of the special spark Dawn French brought/brings to the role!

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Sorry Don, I just didn't put the two together. No, it doesn't make me cringe, but just that I am glad that to me, he did a great show. I'll mark it up just like other producers, directors and actors that have died during my lifetime. The older you get, the more of them kick the bucket.

Glenn

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Do you cringe every time you see Elizabeth Montgomery or Dick York on screen in Bewitched, as well? I mean, both of them died as well, simply without the theatrics of a national tragedy. Any loss of life is tragic, but deaths seem to "mean" more when they're connected with an event that has left an indelible mark on our psyche.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Actually, I do cringe everytime I see Dick York! =)

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

10. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I have to disagree about the "Frasier" series - the Halloween episode they had this year was very, very well done - by far one of the funniest half hours of tv I've seen in a while.

11. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

The monkee as the mailman episode on Cheers still cracks me up when I think of it.[​IMG]

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

13. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

14. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I stopped watching. During the first run, I thought the series maintained its high quality to the end. But now, seeing the originals with Sam and Diane, I feel that the Woody/Rebecca episodes can't hold a candle. I guess this is because when I originally saw the Sam/Diane episodes, I was too young to appreciate them in full.

15. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

16. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think David Spade and Kelsey Grammar do what they do exceedingly well. They execute brilliantly the characters that they created for themselves. Spade's Finch character is very different from his SNL personas and Grammar's Frasier character is much better rehearsed now than it was during Cheers.

Combined, these characters produce an even better team. Just Shoot Me's "How the Finch Stole Christmas," narrated by Grammar, is a terrific episode.

I hated Grammar in 15 Mintues btw. I just didn't think the part used his talents well.

Also, the Fraiser Ham Radio episode has to be one of the best shows ever. I was on the floor with that show!