Does anyone drive a Honda Accord (4 cylinder) of the 1998-2002 vintage?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone.

I am considering leasing a Honda Accord with the 4 cylinder engine.

Does anyone here drive a current model Honda Accord of the 1998-2002 vintage?

If so, tell me about the experiences with the car. What things do you like? Do you dislike any aspects of the car?

Thank you.

Carlos

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have the 1998 V6. It would be equivalent to the EX-V6 in the U.S. (leather seats, moonroof, etc). It's a fine car. My only complaint is that the paint job is mediocre...it scratches and chips far to easily than it should for a high-quality car.
    The 1999 and up models from what I understand have this problem fixed.
    This car is damn reliable. The only thing that broke was the fuel sensor a week after I got it, and replaced again two years later. It has never been in the shop aside from getting hit by careless drivers (and a big scratch I put in there when I screwed up parking! oops!).
    You might want to consider the Honda Accord Special Edition (4 cylinder only), if you can afford it. I think it has climate control, which is a godsend! [​IMG]
    With a 4 cylinder, you should also get extremely good gas mileage.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Just make sure you change the timing belt every 60 000 miles

Brent L

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carlos, I leased a 1997 Honda Accord LX-V6 (sedan) for four years and was very happy with it. It was dark green (what Honda called "Sherwood Green"), and I do agree with Max in that it did scratch rather easily. Heaven forbid someone with long fingernails opened one of the doors. Otherwise, the car was perfect. The only things I had to replace were the brake pads and tires, and they were replaced around 45,000 miles, which was only three months before I got rid of the car. That was the problem with a four-year lease. It sucked having to sink so much money into a car a few short months before I was getting rid of it, but I had no choice. By the way, I originally had a two-year lease, but in '99, the dealership offered me a two-year extension. The monthly payment was so low ($228.63), that I jumped at the chance to hold onto such a great car.
    I relinquished the '97 Accord back in July and bought a 2001 Accord LX-V6 coupe. Again, I am thrilled with the performance of this car. It doesn't seem to scratch as easily as the '97 Accord. However, the new car is silver, which may hide some scratches. I love having the V-6 engine. My car really moves. [​IMG]
    So, I love Honda Accords. Maybe you won't find my opinion too helpful since you are looking to get a 4-cylinder model. However, you really can't go wrong with any Accord. They are all reliable.
    Before buying the LX-V6 coupe a few months ago, I test-drove an EX 4-cylinder coupe. It's a very nice car with the 150-hp 4-cylinder engine, but in the end, I went with the better engine. The interesting thing is that the LX-V6 and EX 4-cylinder Accord coupes carry a very similar sticker price (within a few hundred dollars). I would assume that the monthly lease payments would be similar as well. What you have to ask yourself is whether you want bells and whistles or the better engine. The 2001 EX model comes with an in-dash six-disc CD changer, moonroof, leather interior, most of the time (the EX 4-cylinder model is available in cloth, but most come with leather), and other amenities. The LX-V6 comes with an in-dash single-disc CD player and none of the other features I mentioned for the EX model. For me, the engine was most important. I don't like leather interiors, and the in-dash six-disc CD changer didn't appeal to me since I don't like factory CD players. Immediately after getting the LX-V6, I replaced the factory stereo with a Sony CD head unit and ten-disc trunk changer. The moonroof would have been nice to have, but it wasn't a must-have.
    Don't get me wrong about the EX Accords. They are very nice, but I feel the LX-V6 is the better value. You will get slightly better gas mileage with the 4-cylinder engine, of course, but the V-6 engine is not a gas hog.
    If you do end up leasing a 4-cylinder Accord, I'm sure you will do well with an LX or EX. I wouldn't bother with a DX, however. The DX is completely stripped down.
    Best of luck in making a decision.

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I am pretty happy with my 2000 Accord SE. The dark green paint on it has withstood very mild weather so far...it hasn't really been tested yet.

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I have a 99 LX 4 door. Not one complaint yet. My wife has a 99 EX 2 door. No complaints from her either. Great cars.

Jeff