Does anyone do this? (about PJ bulbs)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I got an idea for people with projectors to buy bulbs. I calculated it costs about $0.30-0.40 per hour of use, so I got the idea of putting a jar or something by your projector, and put whatever your bulb costs per hour of use in it each hour you use it, so by the time the bulb is burnt, you have enough money in the jar to buy a new one!

Does anyonw actually do this? Do you think its a good idea?

Thanks

2. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

No one think this is a good idea? I think its a great idea

3. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Do you really want an answer to that? I could also put $20 in a jar every time I drive my car and pay for a new one when the time comes...

Scott

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That would take a lot of discipline.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It kinda depends on how much your bulb will cost.

If its $230 like the Panny bulb for that entry level LCD unit ... then no big deal. If you cannot afford the bulb, you cannot afford to play.

Regards

6. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

Bingo. Besides, I'd hate to count up four hundred bucks worth of change when I could be using a credit card.

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I used to do the exact same thing. I have the NEC LT150 so a new lamp runs around $300. I figured 50 cents an hour or just a buck per movie should cover it.

In the beginning I was pretty good about it. Usually I just put any change I got into the jar. Every once in awhile a bill or two.

Then my car got broken into and I needed money so out went the $150 I accumulated so far. I never put that $150 back. But I did start putting the change back. It just isn't as systematic like before.

It is a good idea though even if other people say that if you can't afford the bulb you can't afford to play. [​IMG] Give me a break. $300-$400 is a pretty hefty bill to come around usually once a year. What is wrong with someone budgeting that cost? Nothing.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I put a penny in my toilet after every flush. The pennies are too heavy to get swept away with each flush, so by the time my quarterly water bill comes, I just rea.. uh, never mind.

Seriously though, I do use Quicken's "virtual savings account" feature to budget for certain major expenses that occur at a less-than-monthly frequency. Haven't thought about it for pj bulbs; at $400 per >1 year, I doubt I'll do that.

Doug

9. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I agree putting change might not be the best idea, but how about putting a $5 or $10 bill after each 10 or 20 hours of use (all projectors have a bulb timer don't they?).

So you could just check the bulb use once a week or once a month an put the correct amount in large bills instead of change.

10. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Problem here also has a lot to do with how you use the projector. Maybe the bulb lasts only half as long ... or twice as long ...

Money jars tend to be found handy by those that don't put anything into them ... he he he

Regards

11. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

I have a really big jar. It's called Bank One.

Really, how many people with multi-thousand-dollar home theaters need to start saving their quarters today to have four hundred bucks next year? Bulb replacement is an expected expense; budget for it.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How about putting that money in the bank so that it can earn interest. Then again, at 1.25%, what interest can we possibly earn?

13. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Since I have small gum machine in my theater I will start charging for bubble gum, since it is now free. This should help to pay for my bulb.

Heck maybe I should look into putting in a full concession stand.[​IMG]

14. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

I could see myself perpetually taking quarters out to buy soda @ work. [​IMG]