Does anyone Bi-Amp with 43TX or 45TX using the back channels??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen Hopkins, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I just got my 43TX in today and so far I love it.

I was intrigued when I found that it has the option to use the back channel amps to bi-amp the front speakers. In less than a week I'm going back to school w/ a small room that won't accommodate a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, so I won't have back surround speakers hooked up at all. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the bi-amp feature w/ their 43TX / 45TX? If so, how well does it work, does it make a noticeable improvement in the sound quality, and does it justify the effort?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

I don't think it works like that. I thought you could only reassign the rear amps for zone 2 opperation. Although I could be wrong...

3. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

My main speakers (Polk RT800s) are rated at up to 250 watts perchannel program and are bi-wirable/bi-ampable, so one i get back to school where I won't have room for back surrounds I think i'll give it a try.

Any other input is still appreciated [​IMG]

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Steve it's nice to see your system progressing.[​IMG] Did you sell your 811 to your friend and are/were you still using your old JBLs for back surrounds or did you go all Polk (you had JBL N24s all around right?)? Now that you have the 43TX you have to tell us how the manual MCACC works, you're the only person I know that owns one and have never heard how the manual MCACC works so could you tell me? Still have that RCA sub I still got that JBL if you want it.[​IMG]

Daniel Smith

6. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Actually my system has gone through a couple of other chincarnations between the 811/JBL setup and my current 43TX/Polk setup. A friend traded me a Denon 1803 for my 811S and my speaker stand building services. Then I moved up to a Sony 4ES and a Paradigm SE MK3 setup (predeccessor's to the monitor line). I also built an EBS Shiva sub some time ago and love it. Now i've sold the 4ES and the paradigms and went with the 43TX and the Polk RT800 mains, CS245i center, and RT F/X surrounds. I ended up making money selling the paradigm's and buying the polks, and nearly broke even selling the 4ES and buying the 43TX. I wanted the 45TX from ecost.com but they had sold out, so i settled for the 43TX.

As for the manual MCACC it works very well. It gives you internal test tones for the 5 bands of the EQ for each speaker and is MUCH easier to use than the EQ on the 4ES. It's pretty much as easy to do as setting up speaker levels with an SPL meter. It's not as easy as the automatic on the 45TX and 49TX i'm sure, but still alot easier than the 4ES. The receiver is also much easier to use in general than the 4ES.

Thanks for asking [​IMG]

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I dont think it will give you any sonic improvement to biamp with the rear back channels. Generally you biamp with separate amps of different sonic signatures or separate channels of multichannel amps and usually these amps have separate powersupplies for each channel and you get the full benefit of bi-amping as the demands of one channel doesnt modulate the others channels. In your case having a receiver with one powersupply usually limits how much power you can get out of all channels combined. So typically two channel of the same receiver are not a good candidate for bi-amping. Which brings up the more fundamental question that is why do you want to biamp? Is your system limited in some way in how it sounds or how loud it will play? Or do you just want to bi-amp because you have the two spare outputs on your receiver and two spare inputs on your speakers. If its no added hassle try it out and see what you hear (is that a valid phrase?).

My 2 pesos.

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The real reason i was interested is because the receiver has the ability, in 2 days i won't be using the back channels, and my speakers are bi-ampable and are rated to handle that kind of power. Since i'm going to be setting everything up fresh when i get to school anyway i might as well give it a try and see if i hear any improvement. If not, no big deal, just seems like an interesting feature to have.

Thanks [​IMG]

9. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

So it plays a tone say 250Hz and you with your spl meter set it to say 75dB and then go to the next tone and do the same thing setting all of them to 75dB and you do that for all speakers. That seems pretty easy yet time consuming.

That alot of changes for only a year. Do you notice a sound difference between the 811s and the 43TX or any of your other receivers?

Daniel Smith

10. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Yeah that's pretty much how it works. I haven't gone through the EQ completely cuz i'm moving tomorrow, but it shouldn't take TOO extremely long.

As for how my receiver's have rated, i could not tell any sonic improvement from the 811S to the 1803. The 1803 to the 4ES was a big jump up in sound quality and build quality. The 4ES to the 43TX wasn't a very noticable move sonicly, but it's a ton easier to use, looks 100 times better, and has some nifty features. I don't like the 43TX remote very much, but i use a pronto anyway so it doesn't really matter.