Does Anyone Adjust Volume During Movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, Jul 9, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I like a good sounding movie as well as the next guy, but do any of you adjust your volume at different parts in movies? I noticed at first that I use to have the remote in hand throughout and unintentionally adjust the level. Of course I have 2 SVS25-31CS+'s that stomp my house at reference and I guess maybe I wonder a little if my neighbor feels it. Titan AE is a prime example especially the Ice Field scene. The first time I set it up to reference I couldn't believe people listen to it at these levels. Now I try to convince myself that this is the norm. I think I'm getting use to it [​IMG]

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The only time I would bother to adjust the volume is if I was worried about frightening a guest. I can deal with reference level sound a whole lot easier than my mom could.

3. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

Yes I do. The way I see it, watch a movie and listen to music at levels that are comfortable to you. You don't need to adjust your listening habbits just because some calibration disc tells you to.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

All the time. A lot is dictated by noises going on in other rooms. If I want to drown them out, I turn it up a notch.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

yes i do. because i live in apartment. i only have a paradigm pdr10, but that is more than enough to rumble the wall. my neighbours are old people, i dont want to kill them. and i make sure not to make it loud after 6 pm.

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

No adjusting here. Depending upon the type of movie: drama, action, or comedy I set the volume medium or loud, plop onto the couch and start munchin' on some buttered popcorn. NO way I'm gonna get my remote all greasy [​IMG]

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Occasionally. Sometime my guests ask me to turn it down cuz it's so bloody loud. I am used to it, so it never bothers me, but them on the other hand, haha.

8. Julio

Julio Agent

I had calibrated my speakers to reference but I notice that I don't like the volume there so I turned it down 5 nudges down
    I'm like you Mike Strassburg there's no way I will touch my remote with greasy hands [​IMG]

9. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Yes, constantly. Especially during suspense-type movies. If I am not quick enough and the room slams with sound, I get a dirty look and verbal abuse from my wife.

David

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, I adjust the volume a few times during a movie. I have a great neighbor and our homes share a common wall, so I don't want to get on the bad side of him. Then again, he does travel a bit which allows me some flexibility for playing the volume closer to reference levels (e.g. - Vertical Limit was a great kicker movie that was meant to be played at reference levels).

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Sure, sometimes the dialogue is too soft, and once you boost it for that you often have to bring it down again for the explosions and whatnot. When I'm reviewing, though, I almost always leave the volume alone and let the chips fall where they may.

12. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

13. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Only when my wife starts thumping on the floor upstairs because it is close to the kids bed-time. I sympathize with the apartment dwellers even though I am not in one.

14. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Nope. Don't find a need to -- even during the explosions. Let 'er rip, baby! [​IMG]

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The only time I have watched my "Dick Tracy" DVD it was in my old house & my partner was asleep in the next room. I constantly had to adjust the volume as the DTS track has a ton of range. Whispering was as quiet as a whisper and explosions rocked the house.

If it were in the middle of the day, or probably anytime in my new house, I would not adjust the volume.

16. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

17. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Not here - I've been holding my once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD presentations since 1998 (before that it was VHS :b ) and established my audience Listening REF Level to be approx. -10 dB below REF Level (based on the LFE sub-sonic 'fast' peaks just reaching around 105 / 106 dB). It's basially loud enough to provide that sub-sonic LFE floor, couch & air impact but still audible enough to hear the dialog during the quieter whispering moments of the viewed DVD.
    Now, if it's only my brother (or my kids) watching, ...then it's REF LEVEL all the way ! [​IMG] :wink: [​IMG]
    Phil

18. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Depending on the movie, I'll sometimes turn on my Receiver's "Midnight" or "Loud" modes.. Black Hawk Down sounded much better to me in "Loud" mode, with some increased Bass effects.

19. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

All the time. My wife is a volume Nazi! Until I finish my HT in my basement I will constantly be tweaking the volume so that I'm right at the threshold of what's acceptable to her. Now when she's not home, I crank it to just shy of reference levels and leave it there.

20. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Yes. I prefer not adjusting the volume, but sometimes the dynamic range is such that it almost a neccesity.