What's new

Does anybody remember what the first 480i BD was? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Over at another forum people are acting like the world came to an end cause some "cat pizza samurai" anime is being released on BD in Standard Definition...

They act like it was something new...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Not to be a jerk, but to some folks, that "cat pizza samurai" Anime is just as important to them as a classic Hollywood film is to many of the members of this forum.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My take on this completely depends on if "cat pizza samurai" was produced in higher than Standard Definition. If it was produced in SD I have no problem with them releasing it that way on blu-ray. If it was originally produced in HD or film than it should probably be HD on blu ray.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Brian Kidd said:
Not to be a jerk, but to some folks, that "cat pizza samurai" Anime is just as important to them as a classic Hollywood film is to many of the members of this forum.
That wasn't the point...

That show was done on video...in SD.

What they bemoan is the BD with 480i being "absolutely wrong".

I wasn't knocking the content. I was knocking the "end of the world mentality"...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Will there be many more hours of content on a single disc than is typically done with an HD encoding?

If they won't be taking advantage of the space that this allows, that's a shame. While I don't know or care what show this is, if they're not doing this for the added capacity, not deinterlacing it and upscaling these transfers beforehand with professional grade equipment seems like a waste then. Surely, the scaling chips on our own Blu-Ray players have a lot of room for improvement compared to what could be done professionally with these transfers.

Always wished this concept of SD material on Blu-Ray would take off (I only ever see it for bonus content). I would love, for instance, to buy a Blu-Ray set for each IndyCar season before the split happened that has all but murdered American open wheel racing.

Blu-Ray, unlike DVD, would make it viable for something like a 15 race or so season. I bet three dual layer Blu-Rays, with 480i transfers of each race, would just about take care of the average IndyCar season with room to spare.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This particular BD has 52 episodes...which is the entire series.

The only "rub" is if a BD player can't scale a BD. I don't have that answer.

An older BD player set for 480i over component would solve any possible scaling issue...if...it is an issue.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I imagine any Blu-Ray player will be able to upscale a 480i Blu-Ray (And deinterlace it, if it's set to a progressive scan HD resolution).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I believe I once read that a main feature of a BD must be HD, that anything else is against the conditions of the spec. While there is an obvious benefit that some might appreciate by having SD content on a BD for no other reason than shrinking the number of disks, I believe the spec did not want this type of release because of general consumer confusion. I think producers of BD players can have their right to continue making players taken away if for example they make and sell a region free player. I wonder if the same could be true for the producer of a BD disk if the content violated the spec?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
When it makes sense since the source itself can never be HD, I would hope that it wouldn't be so constraining. Especially with so many years behind the format.

I suppose even if it is, it could always be worked around pretty easily. My season set idea for IndyCar, for example. The "main feature" could be a 10 or 15 minute overview of that season, encoded in HD on the disc. If it's not good enough just for disc 1 to have it, split it into thirds and spread it across all three discs.

The "extras" could be the races themselves, which were never in HD to start with since obviously everything from the cameras on down was standard definition until well into the 2000's.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I did a quick search and whether it was ever an issue or something has changed over time there does appear to now be acceptance of such a thing (i.e., and SD Blu-ray). I guess the benefits of the better compression and potential for better (lossless) audio has made SD blu-ray a viable alternative.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I own a couple of SD Blu-ray titles from Eagle Vision, but these are actually upscaled to 1080i to comply with the "no SD" edict. I suspect that if SPC is simply pressed as 52 SD episodes, the ICT will prevent upscaling, as it does on SD special features on some of my discs.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What's the ICT and why would they not want the Blu-Ray player to deinterlace and upscale something like it would with an interlaced DVD?

Regardless, many HDTV's these days will do a decent job of handling those chores anyways. It's not like 10 years ago where upscaling DVD players (And HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players) routinely offered a substantial quality boost with DVD's over leaving the post processing work to the tv's own scaling chip to handle.

So even if this setup forced the picture to be output at 480i for SD content on Blu-Ray, I don't think it would be much of a problem these days.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, although it was certainly transferred to videotape and shown on television in SD, it was shot on film. Considering the budget of the show, most likely on 16mm. That being the case, an HD transfer from film elements can actually look quite nice and substantially better than an SD transfer. I'm not a fan of the show myself, but I know that there are quite a few folks who are. Realistically, the cost of an HD transfer from films of the show would very likely not be covered by sales of the Blu-ray. I know that. My point was just that, to fans of the property, the disappointment is real and valid. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks