What's new

Does anybody remember this format? (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
It must have been about '82 or '83... I was around seven years old. My dad brought home this movie player with a copy of Rodan and a collection of Disney cartoons for the weekend. I must have watched them each about 5 times before my dad took the player back. It was the beginning of my downfall into becoming a cinefile.

I have no idea what the format was called. It didn't last very long. The movies came as big flat plastic brick... I think there was "disc" inside of it about the size of a laserdisc. That's about all I remember about them. That memory suddenly popped into my head this morning and I've been unsuccesful looking it up on the web.

Anyone know?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I had one of those - still do in the closet somewhere. It was pretty cool, although it was prone to skips like a conventional record player. The large plastic cases that the discs came in were very cool - the actual disc never saw the light of day and was always protected. That was my first home video device.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
VideoDisc and stereo sound,
There's no better value around!
Our list of favorites will grow and grow-
In STEREO!
:D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I actually have Star Wars: ANH in this format (is it worth anything?). I know someone who has about 10 players never taken out of the box but the units are so old that the rubber rings used to turn the motor wears out immediately and wont play the disc. The same guy also has about 1500+ titles.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even the web site (from the link that Ross posted) looks OLD! :D

And doesn't this guy look more like a chef than a video disc maker?

"umm, yeah, can I have pepperoni on my CED?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks