What's new

Does anybody remember the hurricane with Golden Girls? (1 Viewer)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I am PRETTY sure it was the Golden Girls but I remember sometime in the early 90s there was a few TV shows in which there was a hurricane and they all became a part of each other. For example, charcters from each show would appear in different shows. I wanna say Fresh prince and Blossom were part of it too but it was so long ago... Anybody know what i am talking about or can refresh my memory?

Chad

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It was in 1991 on The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and Nurses, which all take place in Miami.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That would have been so COOL had Fresh Prince and Blossom been blown away by that hurricane! OMG...what a great idea! They, along with the cast of Family Matters and Full House. What a wonderful opportunity to blow away the obnoxious casts of sucky early 90s TGIF sitcoms! YES!

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
It was a long time ago to me. I am 25. haha. Wasnt there something with Fresh Prince and Blossom and others?

Was that hurricane episode on any DVD releases?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The hurricane episode on GG was a two-part episode that included a visit by Dorothy's sister, Gloria.

I love the beginning of this episode, because it's where Dorothy's ex, Stanley, has been seeing a therapist to wean himself from Dorothy's attention and has transferred his feelings to a stuffed monkey (ok...really a fur-covered traffic cone with a monkey's head).

Also, Sophia has revealed that Dorothy's sister, Gloria, is coming for a visit. Gloria used to be wealthy, but is now flat broke and Sophia wants Dorothy to not make a big deal about it. But it tickles Dorothy so, that her sister who used to flaunt her wealth is now dirt poor, that she can't resist rubbing it in. This leads to what I think is one of the funniest exchanges on the show:

Stanley: Gloria...nice to see you...slumming with the poor side of the family, are we?
Dorothy: Take it easy, Stanley. She's out of M-O-N-E-Y (spells out).
Stanley: (pulls his stuffed monkey behind him) Well she can't have mine.
Dorothy: She's not out of monkey, you idiot!!! She's out of MONEY!!

:laugh:

I don't recall any crossovers in this episode.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it was a different hurricane episode that you are thinking of. I know the one I am talking about was a more serious episode.

You see, they should put things like THIS on DVD with all of the tie-in shows

Chad

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I do remember one other, earlier, episode where Angelo was visiting from Sicely and Sophia convinced Dorothy and Stanley to pretend they were still married. It was supposed to be just for a few hours, before Angelo moved on to other relatives, but a hurricane apparently appeared out of nowhere and closed the airport so Angelo was stuck there for a couple days. Angelo ended up confessing that he'd never become a priest like his family had thought, as he fell in love on the way to the seminary and got married instead. Then Dorothy revealed that she and Stan were divorced and Angelo was OK with that because he'd always thought "Stanley was a yutz!"

This was also where Rose and Blanche were cast as nuns in "The Sound of Music" and arrived back at the house in their costumes, were seen by Angelo, and had to maintain the nun charade until all the other confessions. After which, Rose went outside to see if she could get airborne in her nun's outfit because it was still pretty windy after the hurricane broke up.

Don't recall any crossovers in that ep, either. :)

EDIT: With a little online research, apparently it was the first episode I described above. Though I don't recall the Carol Weston appearance as noted below. I never really liked that character on EN, so perhaps I've blocked it out ;) :

GG: The Monkey Show - This episode originally aired in a one-hour block with it's second part but is seen sydnicated in two separate blocks. This episode aired as part of NBC's hurricane night, each featuring a crossover, with Dinah Manoff appearing on this episode of The Golden Girls, Empty Nest's episode Windy featuring Estelle Getty and Nurses episode Begone with the Wind featuring Betty White.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

She was Stan's psychiatrist's date, to whom the Dr. had revealed details about the very thinly-veiled "Dan and Morothy" couple whom he was counseling.

This was just one of many crossover episodes between these two shows, since the Westons (Richard Mulligan, Kristie McNichol, and Dinah Manoff) appeared several times on GG both before and after the spin-off, and Estelle Getty appeared a couple of times (at least) on EN as Sophia.

Also, there was an earlier failed pilot attempt with the GG episode "Empty Nests" featuring Rita Moreno and Geoffrey Lewis (among others), also centered around a doctor (with both marriage and family issues). They kept the title (slightly altered), dumped the cast and retooled the concept a bit.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
There was yet another GG Hurricane episode during the first season, the one where Sophia thinks she's having a heart attack and the paramedics can't get to them because of the storm. I guess three episodes is not surprising considering where the show takes place.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I remember a hurricane in the episode where Blanche and Rose were trying to raise money for the lighthouse and got stuck at the TV station during the telethon. Is this a separate episode from the ones mentioned?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

:D Mine too. I've probably seen that episode about 20 times, but I still get a huge laugh everytime Dorothy barks back at Stanley, "She's not out of monkey...." :laugh:

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure that Night Court had a hurricane crossover show as well.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I think Night Court did, too. Are any or all of those crossover episodes on dvd? They should make one dvd that has them all.

Chad

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Night Court had a hurricane episode, where multiple mothers all gave birth at the same time, but it didn't crossover into any other network shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks