1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anybody REALLY use PIP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Dec 21, 2001.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I'm indecisive as to which way to go w/a tv ... trying to decide between a 32-36" Wega or go with the 50" Hitachi (another thread that I posted on the Hitachi hasn't gotten any response) that I saw in Circuit City.

I currently own an 8 yr. old 27" Sony WITH PIP and personally haven't used it much after the initial "Wow!" factor wore off. Guess I'm trying to justify saving a few hundred bucks ...

So, how 'bout it? Anyone buy a set w/PIP with the later realization that you really didn't use it that much or do you have it and can't possibly live without it?

2. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

My first 36" Toshiba (circa 1991) came with PIP.

Same story as you: once the WOW factor wore off, it was never used. Also, it does not work well with Digital Satellite or cable systems that require an addressable converter.

PIP is no longer a determining factor for me.

-Mike

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No use at all for PIP. DVDs are screened on the WEGA. The bedroom Toshiba is reserved also for non-gimicky viewing.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I use the PIP feature on my 36XBR450 hooked up to digital cable (one picture has only standard cable). It comes in handy for following news events (e.g. 9/11) and sports.

5. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Meh...haven't really found much use for PIP. Didn't even really use it when I first got my WEGA. It's primarily used for DVD viewing, anyways.

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

PIP IS GREAT for sporting events, football games etc

7. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I use mine all the time for various things. But it is important to have a two-tuner set or else using PIP is too much of a hassel trying to control a second device with a second remote or switching one remote between two products.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've never used it on my TV.

9. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    My Sony will split the screen and I do watch 2 games at once quite often. I also use it to keep an eye on weather and news. I'm not going to go nuts without it but I do have uses for it.

10. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    The only use I see for it is watching two sports games or something similar. Since I use a digital converter, it's use is limited anyways. I wouldn't use PiP as a major factor in deciding which TV to get.