What's new

Does anybody own this yet? (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I reviewed a couple of the discs here:

Zeta Minor

They've been discussed here from time to time:

Link Removed

I do have the whole set now, so if there's something in particular you'd like to know, I'll try to help.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I think that HMV are offering box sets in which the whole collection is broken down into rather more affordable series box sets.

I think this makes it a rather more attractive proposition, but does anyone know if others besides HMV are doing this?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I bought the HMV 'sub-set' of Memoirs/Casebook, which gives me 12 episodes for just under 40 quid, on 6 discs. The review that Julian thoughtfully supplied is I think pretty accurate.

I sampled a couple of the discs specially for you guys (aren't I nice?) and basically, if you love this series, then you'll be better off getting the R2 than the R1 versions, IMHO. They look better, and the sound is a *lot* better (the wow on the tape is still there if you deliberately listen for it, but is now at bearable levels). Yes, there are things that could be there and aren't - the illustrated cards that appeared before and after the adverts, and the trivia snippets that appeared at the end of the programmes when they were broadcast on one of the satellite channels a couple of years ago. However, I think that this set is as good as we're going to get, and as the cost per disc isn't all that bad, it's probably worth getting (though I suppose there's a chance that it'll become a sales time staple).

I personally am not keen on the double-length episodes (The Last Vampyr, Hound of the Baskervilles, etc) and these are all on one of the HMV boxed sets, so over the coming weeks I'lll probably get the other sets and leave that one alone. However, if you want the whole set in one go, then it's probably worth shopping around. I think that Play are probably the cheapest (and remember - free postage, which is a *big* bonus, given the size of the set).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks