Does anybody need Xbox hardware?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'm just wondering, because a local store has lots of Xbox hardware, and I would be willing to send it to anyone here at the HTF who can't find one for cost (plus shipping & gas money).

-Dan B

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I don't, but that's an excellent gesture.

One more way that the HTF proves to be one of the best communities out there.

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thanks Alex, hopefully I don't get overwhelmed with requests, though. My local store says that the Xbox is "just not selling". Kinda suprising, but I took the opportunity to pick one up while I was there, and talked 2 guys into buying one, also. {evil laugh} Heheheh {/evil laugh}

I'll be posting more about what the person at this store told me, along with some Xbox & Halo thoughts, but...must play.

-Dan B

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yeah, I haven't had trouble finding an X-Box here in Philly. Methinks those stories on the local NBC affiliate were a sign that the hardcores have their systems, and J6P is buying a PS2 or Cube for the kiddees.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'm back after my first sit-down with the box. I played through the first level of Halo, and just spent most of the time getting used to the controls. First impressions:
    It's good. [​IMG] OK, that's not too detailed, huh? [​IMG]
    Now, back to this person I talked to at the local Target store...He says that they got 20 Xboxen & 20 Cubes on Friday. The Cubes were gone that night, and they sold 3 Xboxen that evening. There were still 10 Xboxen left tonight when I picked mine up. He also said that the PS2 sold 10 units that night. He went on to say that the demand for the Cube is very strong, & he expects to sell as many as they can get their hands on for some time.
    To confirm what Steve was saying about DVD capability, the people who were behind me at the store asked about that feature of the Xbox right away. It sounded like it would be their first DVD player. This is a definitely a factor for some people.
    -Dan
    needs to buy a longer optical cable for his baby Xbox

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    It seems to me the situation is different depending on where you are. I know I had no problem buying my GameCube several days after launch, and I saw them on shelves for days after that. Haven't seen any this past weekend however. I have yet to see the XBox available anywhere. None of this is surprising, given that Nintendo shipped quite a few more Cubes than MS did XBoxen.

The DVD factor is significant - that was the excuse my 68-year young Dad used to buy a PS2 a few months ago. Heh, heh... let's just say my love of toys & gadgets is most likely hereditary.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I wonder if the wide availability of the Xbox is a Mid-West thing. I visited three different Targets and one Funcoland this weekend and saw several Xboxes everywhere I went. I asked a guy at Funcoland how the new systems were selling and he said, fine. Thankfully it's not the pandemonium that ensued last year with the release of the Playstation 2. He didn't go into any specifics as to which system was selling faster or better, so I'm glad that someone started a thread that brings up this issue. It saves me another trip to Target. [​IMG]

9. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Here in the Houston area it bothe the Cube and Box are in fairly short supply, especially when compared to the plethora of PS2's. I walked into Fry's yesterday, no Box or Cube but a HUGE stacked display of PS2's.

Even controllers and other hardware seem to be in short supply.

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'm having a hard time finding official Nintendo GC controllers. Memory cards are all over. For the XBox, everything's plentiful except the DVD Remote. I went to three stores Sat. night and they were all sold out. On Sunday I went back to WalMart for some Christmas decorations and decided to take a chance. No official GC controllers, but they did have a third-party version in, and tons of XBox DVD Remotes so they got a shipment in Sat. night or Sunday morning. I got one just so that I could see what the DVD playback's like on the XBox.

Mike

11. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

When I called one of the (3) local EB's here in the Allentown PA. area the day of the Cube launch they told me that If I did not pre-order or put down a $100 deposit on one that I would not get one before X-mas. 3 days later I got one at KB. Since then I have not noticed a single Cube in stock anywhere...but that same EB had X-box unit's in stock this past Saturday night and had a sign out front stating such. As for PS2's they are pretty much everywhere...good for Sony bad for MS and Nin.

Randy