What's new

Does anybody make a 16:9 STANDARD definition monitor? (1 Viewer)

MikeCB

Grip
That would basically require you to have an interlaced display capable of around 856x480, and I don't think any such thing exists.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think JVC makes a 30" widescreen 480i only crt set, though I can't imagine why anyone would want one.

In the 40-50" range there are a number of Plasma sets with 480p pictures, which would qualify as non-high def. When looking at the ads just look for sets described as "EDTV" rather than "HDTV". Panasonic's EDTV plasmas are quite highly regarded. I don't think there are any non-hd sets in these sizes using any other display technology.

MikeCB

Grip
Well I was half-wrong but Steve basically answered the question. They do make TVs that can do 852x480 but are enhanced definition (progressive), not standard.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It is my belief that a moderate electronics whiz could take a 16:9 CRT tube and the electronics from a 4:3 standard definition CRT TV set of approximately the same size and make an SDTV 16:9 TV. The hardest part would be getting everything to fit into the cabinet.

Much easier, and using the same adjustments that the electronics whiz would make, is to take an existing 4:3 TV (rear projection too) and also mask the screen so the exposed part is 16:9.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys.

I figured the scan lines might be visible, so some sort of line doubler(?) gizmo would be needed to smooth out the image.

My motivation to ask this was mostly money-based: there is a huge price difference between an SDTV and an equivalently-sized HDTV. But I definitely like the 16:9 image format (it's somehow easier on the eyes-more natural?) and of course most widescreen movies don't get the black bar treatment. But I'm also a believer that the audio portion of an HT makes much more of a positive difference in the movie-watching experience than the visual. :eek:

It's not that I think a high quality/large image is bad, but when you've got several other hobbies to deal with, one paycheck only stretches so far!

I've been keeping my eyes open for used 4:3 RPTVs-with all those people buying newer sets, I'm hoping they think few people will want one of those "square dinosaurs" & will welcome any reasonable offer to take it off their hands. :D And they are usally black-the thought of having a huge silver box in my cherry (and some beech too-it's a bachelor pad) living room doesn't sound good at all.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Save your money. HDTV prices are dropping like a rock. And you'll have NO scan lines even with 480p. 720p and 1080i are unbelievable. I just picked up the Panasonic Tau 30" widescreen for around $780. Since we only sit about 6-8 feet from the screen, it's absolutley gorgeous. I agree with you on the audio part though. That's all been upgraded so the 4:3 standard def tv was the next to go. Believe me, you'll be kicking yourself if you dont go HD. If you can't afford it now...don't compromise. Just wait.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

An SD set is 480i only, so trying to do something like line-doubling to eliminate scanlines requires at minimum ED 480p capability. That's the whole point of HD, so just buy an HD set. If not, you're going to see scanlines like crazy and it'll look like a$$.

MikeCB

Grip

Practically all widescreen movies will still give you black bars on the tops and bottoms. Most movies are shot at either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 and a widescreen tv is 1.78:1. They'll be far less noticable on a widescreen tv than on a standard 4:3 tv though.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Really?

Well hell, another reason a widescreen monitor still isn't high on my priority list. :frowning:

Oh well. Sooooo, next year's tax return remains tagged for buying a Panasonic 35"/4:3 Tau analog monitor. Old skool ROOLZ! :D

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 32" Tau for a few weeks and realized that most of our TV viewing was available in widescreen and in HD (prime time, sports, etc.) I returned the 4:3 set for a 30" widescreen and couldn't be happier. As far as the analog and digital channels are concerned, the just mode on the widescreen Tau works great to fill the screen without making the picture look "bloated." Yeah, old school rules sometimes but not in this case.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Toshiba made a 40" or 43" SD 16:9 set about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember seeing them on clearance at a local shop about the time I was buying my first HD set (a 43" HD 4:3 Hitachi). The 4:3 HD and the 16:9 SD was the same price so i didn't even consider it. A 4:3 SD set w/ 16:9 squeez is probably your best bet. My dad just picked up one of the last generation of SD 4:3 Toshibas in 50" for $300 used localy. In 16:9 squeez mode DVD looks really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks