What's new

Does anybody knows if Erroll Flynn will be ever in DVD? (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
OBJECTIVE, BURMA looks terrific. Aside from stock footage inherent in the original negative, it's crisp, clear & is also a damned good movie.

There are also 2 great classic WB war shorts on the disc.

It's Raoul Walsh and Errol Flynn at their finest!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are also 2 great classic WB war shorts on the disc.
Actually the colour short boasts a fantastic transfer (presumably the original elements had been untouched for many years and carefully stored!)

Warners have been doing a great job on their back catalogue, but there have been hiccups - I was very disappointed with The Shop Around the Corner; The Adventures of Robin Hood sounds like it will be breathtaking however; fingers crossed!

---
So many films, so little time...

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Regarding The Adventures of Robin Hood, any specs yet? Either way, I hope they have an isolated musical track for Korngold's glorious music. At the very least, a feature on it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Regarding The Adventures of Robin Hood, any specs yet? Either way, I hope they have an isolated musical track for Korngold's glorious music. At the very least, a feature on it.
It's possible that the original music-only track exists, but don't count on it. A re-recording was made of the score some time ago and it may not be perfect sync with the film.

I'd welcome a track if it's possible, though. Fantastic score.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
All of the original music scoring for THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD exists. Most of the Korngold scores were preserved in their entirety via tape copies made for the Korngold family. WB has copies as well. Excerpts from the score have been commercially released by Turner/Rhino's CD soundtrack label.

Given that, we can have high hopes that the upcoming DVD will have an isolated score. Since WB indicated during their chat this will be a "deluxe" release, I think there's a good chance that this feature would be chosen for inclusion.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Objective Burma

Thanks to Roger, Robert, & John for their feedback on the transfer and short extras.

If anyone comes across a full review please post.

-thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Piers,
Here is a thread with some more comments on the dvd presentation from other members. However, it doesn't have any links to a full blown review from other sites. I wonder if this dvd was ever reviewed by such sites?

Crawdaddy

Derek_McL

Second Unit
"The Adventures of Robin Hood sounds like it will be breathtaking."

Yes but where is the announcement about it while I am pleased to hear about Objective Burma! and The Prince and the Pauper its the Flynn swashbucklers/westerns of late 30s/early 40s I really want to see.

Since the chat Warners had been very quiet about those three deluxe editions of classic films supposed to be coming in September: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle dandy and The Treassure of the Sierra Madre. Surely these will be announced soon and not delayed then more Flynn, Cagney classics etc will be pushed back even further.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Given that, we can have high hopes that the upcoming DVD will have an isolated score. Since WB indicated during their chat this will be a "deluxe" release, I think there's a good chance that this feature would be chosen for inclusion.
It's more likely there will be a deluxe CD release around the same time of the DVD release, rather than an isolated score. I can ask someone who knows and will report back.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if this dvd was ever reviewed by such sites?
Robert, I was wondering the same thing myself.

I only came across it mentioned in Randy Salas' article when the DVD was released. From his comments in the thread you referenced above, it appears that there was a delay getting reviewer copies out prior to the release date. Its hard to imagine that no one has done a full review.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just to finish the thought, I just got this info in my mailbox from the music's sound restorer (and it's confirmed in the other Robin Hood thread):
Rhino decided against doing a CD in lieu of putting the raw tracks on the DVD.
While I'd have liked a CD, the isolated score on Robin Hood will be a great treat.

EDIT: Just got more info: it's probably *not* going to be a genuine isolated score, but, more likely, raw session tracks that may or may not be mixed correctly. :frowning:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Cuban Story is out on DVD. Errol bragging about his friendship with Castro.
This disk is great. You get to see a besotted Flynn say how great a freedom lover is Castro. Also shown is a kangaroo-court where they lead the condemned (e.g. non-communists) out and shoot him - all on camera.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
EDIT: Just got more info: it's probably *not* going to be a genuine isolated score, but, more likely, raw session tracks that may or may not be mixed correctly
Why would the session tracks be "mixed incorrectly"?

Warner Bros. (unlike FOX or MGM) did not record their music using multiple channels in the 1930s or 40s. There's nothing to "mix". They were recorded mono.

Of course, the net result will be in the final released product, but I highly doubt that this will be anything but a proper assembly of the original Korngold scoring tracks which have been extant and floating around for decades.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I doubt very much if they will mix them properly (there are several cues that were done in "parts" with held chords, overlays etc. We'll see what they do.
That's why I said "may or may not" in my original post, we'll have to wait and see.

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
yesterday i recieved my copy of the master of ballantrae,and the picture quality is excellent,just gotthe mono sound but thats ok.extras include rogues gallery of production stills and posters,and trailers for robin hood,captain blood,the sea hawk,and master of ballantrae,now with the news of specs for robin hood,and watching the trailer i cant wait for september30th.also recieved scaramouche yesterday and thats another classic swashbuckler,which any fans of the genre should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks