What's new

Does anybody knows if Erroll Flynn will be ever in DVD? (1 Viewer)

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
These are the titles I care for,

-The Adventures of Don Juan (1948)
-The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
-Against All Flags (1952)
-Captain Blood (1935)
-The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)
-The Prince and the Pauper(1937)
-The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex(1939)
-The Sea Hawk(1940)
-They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

Thanks in advance.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Most of these are owned by either Warner or MGM, who have VHS versions in print. I think (hope) it's just a matter of time before we see these. The Adventures of Robin Hood reportedly is in the works from Warner.

The odd ducks on your list are The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, which is out of print, and Against All Flags, which also is out of print and was issued by some hole-in-the-wall label.

Erroll Flynn certainly is overdue for DVD. In addition to the ones you listed, I'd love to see Objective Burma, The Dawn Patrol, Gentleman Jim and a raft of others.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Check this list for Kim for sure (check cover art down a bit in that thread) and Prince & Pauper (1937)...there's your Erroll version! Both on 8/26.

Adv/Robin Hood should be in Sept/Oct as well. And then we should see him briefly in "Rabbit Hood" on the upcoming Looney Tunes discs! :D

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
OBJECTIVE BURMA is coming next month, and Warner has just announced Flynn's THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE for July.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I certainly hope so.
ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
and PRINCE AND THE PAUPER are two
of my must haves.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yike! How could I miss listing the July 1 release of Master of Ballantrae!...

Don't forget also that at least one Erroll film has made it out on DVD:

But it was released 3½ years ago from "The Roan Group"...I wonder if it can even be found any more.

According to the IMDB, he was also an uncredited extra in The Lady From Shanghai, which is out on DVD:

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I'll believe The Adventures of Robin Hood when I see it as Warner Brothers seem obsessed with reissuing the inferior Kevin Costner version. My worry is that Warners will stop at Robin Hood as it is the most famous Flynn title and ignore gems like Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and They Died With Their Boots On. The studio is notoriously slow with its classics releases. As a public domain title there are numerous versions of Santa Fe Trail available,mine has an excellent print on a Marengo Films Double Feature. The other film Abilene Town with Randolph Scott has a pretty awful print.

Classic Films On DVD

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

While I use to criticize Warner for their lack of classic releases, I don't think such criticism is warranted today. Furthermore, I believe your worries are unfounded about them not releasing The Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, They Died With Their Boots On and more classic Flynn films like Dodge City and Virginia City. Warner might be slow in a lot of our minds, but the quality of their releases are top notch.

By the way, we have a scheduled chat with Warner on April 22nd, hopefully, many of us will ask them about their future classic releases not announced since they're one of the few studios not heavyly into television product.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll believe The Adventures of Robin Hood when I see it as Warner Brothers seem obsessed with reissuing the inferior Kevin Costner version. My worry is that Warners will stop at Robin Hood as it is the most famous Flynn title and ignore gems like Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and They Died With Their Boots On. The studio is notoriously slow with its classics releases.
WB is only distributing the Costner Robin Hood. Morgan Creek works on their own DVDs and WB simply distributes them.

The reason you don't see a lot of Flynn from the 1930s and 1940s is because those Warner Bros. films from the time were passed around quite a lot. WB sold their entire pre-1950 catalog to Associated Artists Productions in 1957, which was merged with United Artists in 1967. UA merged with MGM in 1981, Turner bought the "AAP" portion of UA along with MGM's catalog in 1986. Turner merges with Warner in 1990s...

danak

Second Unit
What about The Charge of the Light Brigade from 1936? It's out there, though it's a bare-bones release.

Dana

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
BTW:
Cuban Story is out on DVD. Errol bragging about his friendship with Castro.

Definitely want Robin, Seahwks, and Capt. Blood.

Peter

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Danak, the Charge Of The Light Brigade DVD is not the 1936 Flynn version but the 1968 Tony Richardson remake with David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm on these Flynn releases like white on rice.
The reason you don't see a lot of Flynn from the 1930s and 1940s is because those Warner Bros. films from the time were passed around quite a lot. WB sold their entire pre-1950 catalog to Associated Artists Productions in 1957, which was merged with United Artists in 1967. UA merged with MGM in 1981, Turner bought the "AAP" portion of UA along with MGM's catalog in 1986. Turner merges with Warner in 1990s...
So the rights to these film bounced around like a ping pong ball. What would stop any rights holder from doing a release? Did no one hold on to the rights long enough to produce a DVD release? Or did all this bouncing around make the source elements for DVD production become unusable? I'm curious. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Bouncing around through different hands generally causes the elements not to be cared for properly.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Bouncing around through different hands generally causes the elements not to be cared for properly
It is too bad that these classic films were not cared for properly. Shame on the rights holders.

Sorry for the partial post above. Delete it if you like.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Patrick's information is somewhat incorrect and misleading.

The pre-'49 Warner library was sold in 1956 (not 1957) to a company called PRM, Inc. PRM acquired AAP that year. Toward the end of 1957 (not 1967) United Artists began distributing the library when a subsidiary of their company purchased AAP. The division was then called United Artists Associated. MGM purchased UA in 1981 (they did not merge). The Warner, RKO & Popeye films that UA owned were transferred to MGM when Ted Turner bought MGM/UA and sold the UA part back to Kirk Kerkorian as part of the deal. Ted Turner did not buy the AAP library, as the rest of it (such as it is, including some Monogram films) still belong
to UA.

The pre-'49 library did "come home" to WB when Turner merged with Time Warner in '96.

However, none of this has anything to do with the film elements. They were never "bounced around". Once WB sold the library, everything stayed in one place, and in the late '60s, UA deposited all the original nitrate negatives with the Library of Congress. Those negatives are still there, having been there for almost thirty-five years.

Therefore, suggesting that the corporate machinations that I described earlier have anything to do with those films not being treated properly is erroneous.

It should be noted however that (for the most part) it has only been since WB regained control of its old library that the actual nitrate materials from LOC have been pulled for restoration. The results from these efforts can be seen on WB's superb DVD releases of titles like the recent MILDRED PIERCE or 42nd STREET and NOW, VOYAGER.

I'd assume the upcoming Flynn films like OBJECTIVE, BURMA and THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER will benefit from this same kind of first-class care & effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks