What's new

Does anybody know where to find RG59 to RCA adapters? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I am creating custom runs for my component video and s-video lines. I have decided to use copper shielded RG59 cable.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the ends needed for this project. I need an adapter that takes bare RG59 cable at one end and has a male RCA plug at the other. For a better connection I would like some kind of compression fitting.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Dave

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s not what he’s looking for, Mike. He wants an RG-59 cable terminated directly to an RCA connector.

Dave, do a search at Parts Express. I think they have some compression RCAs for coaxial cable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Well,if you want the best, try these WBT toplines:

Parts Express carries a whole line of RCA connectors, ranging in price from pennies to these babies at about $30 each.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Steren and F-Conn make some nice compression connectors... but do you mean compression, or crimp? (Actually, if you have the choice, the F-Conn's are nicer than the Steren Permaseal ones)

Leo Kerr

Sam>C

Grip
I have seen many threads about making their own cables for compenent (I assume for HDTV and DVD) and I would like to do this also since I have the chance to run cable up from stero cabinet to my TV when I move next week. Where would one get the bulk cable and what do I need to look for? I plan on using the crimp on type conenctors listed above.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
dave, if you can't find 'em you can crimp standard F ends on and use the adapter that mike linked to

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
some place like a home depot is a good place

or any large hardware store

and of course the aforementioned parts express

Sam>C

Grip
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where would one get the bulk cable and what do I need to look for? I plan on using the crimp on type conenctors listed above.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some place like a home depot is a good place

or any large hardware store

and of course the aforementioned parts express

Thanks, but if I go to my local hardware store (Lowes etc) what type of cable do I need? I looked there last night and I didn't see RG59 cable listed so I am thinking it is listed some other way.

Thanks

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
When I've seen it at Home Depot and the like, it's usually been 'finished' into 100' rolls with F-connectors on each end.

If you want a lot (say, pulling your own RGBHV a long way,) and want more than a 100' spool, go to a place like Rexel, Branch, Tristate electric (in the Midatlantic area,) or some other professional electrical supplier.

Barring that, there's also mail-order from, among a lot of other places, Markertek.

Going to an electrical supplier makes it (generally) easier to get a specific type of cable - if you're looking for West Penn, Extron, Belden, or Foo, they're likely able to get it, or might even have it.

Also, it's cheaper (by the foot) to buy it by the 500 or 1000 foot roll... ;)

Leo Kerr

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

no, no, No, No, NO, NO, NO, NO

This is like trying to put bicycle tires on a motor-cycle, or buying copper pipe when you really want a garden hose.

Different coax is built for different applications.

The RG59 & RG6 coax you buy at Home Depot/Radio Shack is designed for:
  • RF analog frequencies (for CATV) or GigaHz Digital frequencies (for satilite)
  • Outdoor use so it has a thick, weather-proof outer shell that makes it stiff & hard to work with

You want coax designed for analog HD Video frequencies (from about 1-35 Mhz). This means you want a bandwidth of about 100 Mhz.

Follow the link I gave above to find internet resellers who will sell you the coax in bulk. (It should run you under $2/ft).

You are in Chicago? I think you have a GreyBar Electronics there, try them.

You want to ask for things like Belden 1695a or Canare video coax.

You will have a much better chance of success if you use the parts designed for what you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks