What's new

Does anybody know anything about "under sink" space saver dishwashers? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Our home has a very small kitchen and we need to have a dishwasher.
Yup, we're lazy and proud of it ;)
My wife and I are considering portable, "roll-away" type dishwashers and I also saw an "undersink" GE Spacesaver model that looks interesting.
Does anybody know the specifics behind the under sink type dishwashers?
How are they installed, do they hook directly up to the sink's water supply, etc?
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Brian

Matthew R

Agent
My previous home had one of the GE SpaceSaver undersink dishwashers. They hook up just like any installed dishwasher; you'll need to add some plumbing to the sink's water supply to supply water to the dishwasher, and a connector to the drain under the sink to hook the dishwasher drain to (pretty simple; you'll see them in any hardware store). You'll also need to supply electricity to the dishwasher, of course. The biggest thing to be aware of with the undersink model is that it doesn't necessarily fit under every kitchen sink-- I think the sink can only be around six inches deep or so. (The other complaint I had was that, since the GE model seems to be the only undersink dishwasher available, I paid more than I would have paid for a standard dishwasher, and got less capacity.)

--Matthew

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I bought one of the Sears Kenmore portable rolling dashwashers this past summer. That thing has been a huge time saver for me. I highly recommend it. It's probably not the greatest capacity washer and the teflon pots sometimes have water spots (L-A-Z-Y ;) ) , but it's much better than pilling them in the sink for a week or more.
I was able to shift my fridge to the left and put the dishwasher in its place for easy rolling access to the sink. Hookup is via a springloaded attachment to the special faucet aerator.
After 2.5 straight weeks of studying and an all-nighter for today, I can say my dishes are clean. As for the rest of the place, well ... :D

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks Matt and Joe.

After reading what Matt wrote I really don't think under the sink is going to be viable for our kitchen.

We have a double-basin sink that's probably about 8-10 inches deep.

Sounds like roll-away portable type is the way to go.

Most reviews I'm reading say Maytag, Whirlpool and Kenmore are the brands to look for.

Any others I should be checking out?

We have a $400.00 cap for this purchase and ofcourse saving space in our small kitchen is important.

Thanks again,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks