does anybody here work in computer graphics field?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 21, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

there should be at least a few of you.

please share your experience to me! i am a grad student at depaul university. my major is computer graphics, developer path, minor in human computer interaction.

i am attending siggraph at san antonio next month, and i might be able to get the masters degree june next year.

can anybody tell me how to create a port folio, find a job, etc etc? people told me that the economy is slumping right now, but i guess people still need entertainment...

2. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Felix:

I have a small interactive firm here in NYC, and while the economy isn't what it used to be, for small design shops like mine, things are actually picking up.

Your background in HCI will definitely help, as there has been a pretty recent recognition by clients of usability and the user-centered design approach. Pump that up as much as you can on your resumes.

Your location will also make a difference. Urban areas tend to be best for computer and web design just because of the amount of small firms. If you can, avoid the big agencies - you'll end up doing production design and won't get much out of it for your portfolio.

Have fun at Siggraph! Just don't get caught up in the cult of personality - designers are NOT celebrities.

-joshua

3. felix_suwarno

big agencies? please explain josh! i really wanna know the details.

"Just don't get caught up in the cult of personality"

what does that mean? i know i am not and dont want to be a celebrity. my goal in life is to do what i like to do, grow and educate my kids, be purchase a kick ass home theater system ( ha ! )

thanks BIG time.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Felix:
    Big agencies include huge, multi-office advertising, interactive/integrator/consultancy firms, etc. Regarding that, I'm pretty jaded, so take what I say about that with a few grains of salt. Perhaps a couple years at one of them would be good professional experience, but I have found that my designer friends who work at huge companies rarely get to actually design as they are hidden behind three layers of ego-driven creative directors. I'm not biased in the least bit, no. [​IMG]
    Regarding the cult of personality thing, a lot of designers are out there to turn themselves into design gurus with a following, much like rock stars. I'm a little tired of it, personally. You'll see a lot of them at Siggraph. They annoy me, and I wish they would just shut up and do some design rather than sell another book about how to design despite the fact that they haven't designed a usable product in over 10 years.
    But that's just my opinion.

5. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Designers are a dime a dozen here in Seattle. I'm in the middle of a career change after being a Senior Designer at a software company for several years. I got laid-off over a year ago. Full time postions are few and far between ever since the internet crash.

Good Luck to you,

-EJ

6. felix_suwarno

i am not a graphics designer. i am not designing website. i am more into 3D animation, modelling, and programming.

thanks for the advice!

anymore advice to tell me? i would really appreciate it.

7. Damian James

Damian James Stunt Coordinator

Areas in Texas are great for game development, as is California. That'd probably be your best bet for 3d development, since gaming software really helps to drive the end-user computer industry.

A cool idea I have seen for a portfolio... If you have any programming experience, or can get someone to give you a hand, make a portfolio on CD that will autoplay and give easy access to your best work in motion. Since Flash MX now supports video, you could probably make a short presentation in that... which also allows you to make an online presence with it.

8. felix_suwarno

thanks a lot!!! that is a good idea.