What's new

Does anybody here own this crammed-with-features Sherwood? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Specifically, the RD-8601

For an MSRP of only $399.95 this model includes an on-screen display, an automatic calibration system(!) w/supplied microphone and video up-conversion.

That sure seemed like a lot for the price but I think I know where they saved the money (this is meant in a factually-speaking manner rather than a derogatory one): the amp section is rated using .9% THD, 40Hz and 6ohm figures (the amp and power supply sections of a receiver are usually the most expensive part to build--just check the price for your own receiver's replacement power transformer). So I figure this model probably only generates around "only" 50-70 watts of clean power per channel (8ohms,

anthony_b

Screenwriter
The THD on this unit is rather high...most good amps are rated @ 0.0x% as opposoed to 0.x%...but I get your point, you should be able to get a clean 50-70 watts per channel out of that.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Anthony: For some power rating perspective >>> my old Pioneer SX-6 stereo receiver from 1983 is rated at 45 watts per channel, 20Hz-20kHz/8ohms/.009% THD. Its power meters stop at 60 watts but I can operate it with the LEDs "pegged" at that point and it still sounds fine (and just the first 45 watts gets plenty loud for me in small living rooms and bedrooms. :) ).

Jeff: Circuit City no longer has Sherwood's RD-6500(?) surround receiver on their website, though the stereo model is still there. Do you know where this new model will be sold?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks