Does anybody here have their PC hooked up to their TVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_H, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Auditioning

I have my PC connected to my HT by running the audo from my sound card to my reciever via a 1/8th" to RCA Y splitter. The vider os going from my GForce2MX to a signal converter box to the tv via Svideo.

My question is, I have a Sony Wega 32XBR250, I can only get 800X600 res on the tv & the text is hard to read.

-Is this hurting my TV at all?

-Is there any way to get a better picture?

-How do you guys have yours integrated? Pictures would help if you have them.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I have mine hooked up pretty much the same way, except that I use the S-video output from my ATI card. I experience the same problems with the picture as you. One thing you might try is changing the desktop size to 640x480, this will get you larger fonts and no scaling needs to be done to convert the 800x600 display to 640x480 for display on the TV.

4. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Since you asked...

I have a 36" RCA MM361100 HDTV set, which also doubles as a computer monitor w/ svga input. I bought it at radioshack for $999, which was half-off (a steal). It's connected to my pc, which sits in the closet next to my AV rack. I've got a Geforce3 deluxe in the computer, and even though it's a bit dated these days it's still a pretty awesome graphics card. My soundcard is a creative labs sblive 5.1 platinum, which is also kind of dated with the release of the audiology, but it's good enough for me.

I can really only run 800x600 on the set, and a couple of strange resolutions that aren't supported by any games (like 1000x600). Still, that's pretty decent and it's 100x clearer than using s-video.

For a keyboard & mouse I bought the logitech cordless freedom optical desktop. From what I've seen, it's the only way to go, and for $80 it's a great deal. Battery life isn't great, but I've got rechargeables that last long enough. Thrustmaster makes a cordless joystick that's pretty decent, i bought one but i haven't really used it much since i got my XBox.

now, if only i could leave work & go play some wolfenstein...

-gary

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Legitimate composite and S-video inputs won't hurt the TV. With component or VGA you have to be careful. There have been cases where putting in the wrong scan rate, for example 480p into a non-progressive TV caused damage.
    If you are getting 800 x 600 computer resolution on an SDTV interlaced TV, either it is being scaled to 480 scan lines or you are seeing a portion of the computer screen view that has to be panned and scanned manually. In the former case text will always be less sharp, in both cases colored text via S-video will be less sharp. According to specs, S-video provides at most about 160 different color changes across a scan line, it could take as mush as 2% of the screen width to get from one color to another via composite video, while real VGA supports 640 (800 x 600 SVGA allows any color for any pixel too).
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm