Does anybody have the problem with DirectTV picture ...Need help...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nico, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I have DirectTV hooked up with my TV and I recently noticed that the picture is not very clear, especially when playing movies. It has glare on it (especially when it is black over white colors, or lighting in the dark, etc.). I changed the composite cable to Acoustic Research one and still did not make any difference. My TV's picture is fine when playing DVD (thru composite connection). Did anybody else have this problem? Is this TV problem, signal problem (my signal strength is 87 - 90), or satellite receiver problem, or the RG6 cable? I would appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Nico

I am using cheapo Sanyo 19 incher and Sony B55 satellite receiver.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Nico.

While I have Dish rather than Direct, I have heard that as of Jan 1 some new 'must carry' rules came into effect forcing the companies to do more compression of a lot of channels. This means less picture quality.

Your description of "glare" in darkly lit scenes does not sound like normal compression artifacts however. So I'm not sure what to tell you.

Does the problem happen on some stations more than others? Locals, HBO, etc? If so, make notes of these and call Direct. Rumor is that they are reducing the compression on some channels if they get enough complaints.

Your cable swapping was correct and I am assuming you have tightned all your coax "F" connectors.