does any other toshiba hdx82 owners see this problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre*C, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Andre*C

Andre*C Agent

This is my second set (50hdx82)from tweeter and both had the exact same problem. When all lights are turned off and a very bright seen comes on cable or dvd (like LOTR beginning of CH 18)I see a faint horizontal line 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen. It is exremely annoying once you've noticed it. It almost looks like burn in but I know I did not burn in both of these sets on the first day of owning them! I talked to tweeter and they suggest going with different brand since maybe all toshibas have this slight problem. It really is only noticable on very bright seens. I am thinking I am going to fork over some more money and get the mits 511 unless someone here knows a way to fix this problem without changing out CRTs.

2. Brian Barnesky

I have noticed the exact same thing and would be very interested in what I'm seeing as well. Set is a week old.
    I have a 57HDX82. Notice on cable AND certain dvd. Only in very bright scenes.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I remember reading Toshiba had a problem with something similar to this in the 2001 models, when viewing PROGRESSIVE SCAN MATERIAL.
    Interesting it's on cable now..good luck.
    I own the 57H82 and so far haven't seen it. I do notice closeups are very sharp on DVDs but just get a few feet away and everyone is blurry.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

4. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I have the 57HDX82 and I see it also. I'm not sure what to do about it. Its not noticeable unless you know what to look for in the white or bright areas.

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I have a 57HDX82 and I see what you are talking about. It is on the left side and about 1 inch in diameter. It does not really bother me and I have seen it on several different brands of RPTV's. My old Sony 46" big screen also had something similar. It is too defined to be any sort of shadow. I suspect it is a defect in the screen and that just about every RPTV has it.

Chris

6. Andre*C

Andre*C Agent

well I just couldn't live with the line in the tv any more so I exchanged it for the second time but this time got a mitsubishi ws55511. I found out this is the model that's picture most resembles the picture of the diamond series because it has similar crt's. It's crt's are upgrades from the 311 and 411. I called the mitsubishi rep to confirm this since I had heard so many times that the 511 had worse picture quality than the 411. He told me that the 411 does have quad field focus but that the crt difference was much more of a factor for picture quality. anyways here are my observations.
    The toshiba did some things better and the mits does somethings better. At no surprise the toshibas stretch modes for 4:3 were much better. I don't know why mits can't get it together here. Also the mits has a little more video noise on cable and the tosh just looked smoother on cable. The mits does do high def better though and dvd's look slightly more detailed. I think the tosh smooths everything out so much that it might sacrifice a tad bit of sharpness. although this was almost more appealing except on exceptional scource material. The build quality of the mits is deffinately better. I am very picky about small things and the mits has not dissapointed. the toshiba's convergence would drift slightly every week and I had to keep going in the service menu to do the multi point convergence. That annoyed me cus I could always see blue blooming around black or white objects on the screen. The mits has no blue blooming. I have heard that mits uses heavier duty parts but that could have just been propaganda.
    They are both great tv's and the toshiba deffinately gives you the most picture for the buck if you can live with little flaws. I decided to pay more and fix those little flaws at the expense of cable picture quality.
    They are both good tv's and

7. Brian Barnesky

Andre.......glad your happy with your new unit!

It really sucks that now I'm ALWAYS watching for the line in anything bright and picking it up.

The band that Chris is talking about I however do not see at all.

The one I'm talking about is between 1/3 to halfway down form the top of the screen and is horizontal from side to side. It only appears to effect a couple scan lines and produces a lightend/white line about 1/16" thick. This only is visibal during very bright images . I have noticed in large close up of faces now though When pauseing a DVD where the line is visible and looking very close to the screen I pick up a very thin and faint red line in the middle of the line. I'm extreeeeemly happy with my set with the exception of this one issue!

Can it be fixed? Does anybody know what this even could be? Any calibrators seen this on the hdx's? Sounds like Kyle sees what I'm seeing too.

thx,
    Brian

8. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

hmm Brian,

My picture is perfect as far as geometry or defects is concerned. I don't have any thing like you describe.

What I see is a very faint shadow line on the left side that is about 1 inch wide that goes all the way from the top to the bottom. You can only see it during saturated bright scenes and then only when you are looking for it. Some other people in my household still can't find it and think I am crazy. It is that minimal. During normal to dark scenes you can't see it at all.

I have seen this defect on other RPTV screens and my old Sony 46" set had it as well. I am not sure what it is but it is common. I suspect the screens are made by one manufacture and they pump them out fast. It could be something as simple as a guide wheel leaving a slight shadow during manufacturing. Odds are pretty good that a replacement screen will have the same defect. If it can even be considered a defect. More like a tolerance issue.

Chris