What's new

Does any keep thier equipment boxes? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I wonder who has the oldest box for a piece of gear they have? I still have the box from a Sony PS-X600 turntable I got in ~1981 or so! :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
BOX TALK!!! ALL BOX TALK RADIO!!!

They tend to disappear whenever I moved

Kevin you win the old box award!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
A guy threw away his boxes, and then had a problem with his Krell amp. He had to send it back to them for repair. They sent him a new box for shipping, but charged him $100 for the cardboard box. As much as you pay for their equipment, the box and shipping should have been free! For this reason...... I'll never own a piece of Krell equipment!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Krell actually charged for a new shipping box/container, insane..:rolleyes

Worse yet was to pay it, better to have went to a pro packer for shippment. It would have to be less than Krell's 100.00 price!!!!

"Unless" this is another thing Krell might have said, (only will accept & repair if shipped in orig packing). ~{And if this was so}~, Screw Krell and their (IMO) overpriced gear, then to be treated that way!
Ghesshhh
Nothing against Krell owners! Just very hard to belive if true is all....

Back to the Topic:
Yes, have saved all my "new" gear boxes also, since the mid 70's forward....For the same "many reasons" already stated by many...
Just a good idea IMO. (If one has, or can make room) for the needed space.

JohnBAIL

Grip
I always keep mine. I find that when the upgrade bug strikes (and I am particularly prone to it), the best option is to trade-in the old gear on the new. And the first question the dealer asks when calculating the value of your old stuff is, 'do you still have the box'.

They may take up room, but are surprisingly valuable when it comes to upgrade time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I always keep mine too. I hate the idea of moving or shipping stuff that's not properly packed.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
If I had the room, I'd keep the boxes, but since I don't, I just cut up the boxes & toss them after the return/warrantee period is over. While true you'll get a little more for having the original box, keeping them around until you need them is more trouble than its worth, at least to me. I'm really anal about keeping the manual in great condition.

If/when I move, I'll just scrounge up some new boxes & pack my stuff with bubble wrap, peanuts, blankets, etc., & make sure its hand carried by me personally, in the vehicle I drive to the new location.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
I keep all my boxes.

Especially, my box for my SVS PC-Ultra.
1) I'll use to ship if I ever upgrade.
2) If I go broke buying AV equipment I suppose it could be used as an inexpensive coffin. j/k

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I used to throw away until I started collecting 1:18 scale diecast cars and found out how it affected resale on this type of item. I figured it couldn't hurt to keep the original boxes, so my attic is full, since I rarely sell any gear, just move it to another room.

Doesn't each room deserve surround sound?

DG

Cagri

Second Unit
I always keep boxes and one room upstairs in my 2-floored flat is full of boxes. I had an international shipment with lots of gear before, including a 27" TV without original box, and I can say that you have to keep the boxes if you are ever gonna move.

Storage is generally a problem though. I had to throw away the box of my 32" Loewe recently, after using it for repair shipment once. The box was huge and it was very dirty when it came back, I didn't want to keep it. I would like to keep the foam material at least, but I was out of space. If you can't keep the box for some reason, try to keep the foam, it'll still help when moving.

One thing to be aware of is; there is a kind of a bug which grows in the boxes in some areas, pay close attention if your boxes are infected with the bugger. I try to keep my boxes in large size dustbags, it helps them getting too much dust too...

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the all the comments. From what has been said here most people keep their boxes. If I am not concerned about resell value, and the warranty is over. Is there any other reasons why I should keep the boxes.

Cagri

Second Unit
Bob,

If you don't care about resale value, and the warranty is over, and you are settled in your current house for the rest of your life, and you are sure that in future you will not give the gear to a friend or a member of the family; then there's no reason to keep them. Just throw them away and save yourself the space...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks