Does any keep thier equipment boxes?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob_Lawrance, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if I should be keeping the boxes for ever. Or should I be throwing them away after the 30 day return policy.
    Any comments on this would be great.

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I have the original box and styrofoam for every single piece of gear I own, including my 32" Sony TV. The TV box is flattened, though, for space-saving reasons!

There's no better way to move your gear than by protecting it in it's original box and styrofoam packing.

I've moved some gear four times...under less than ideal conditions. I.E. boxes thrown into the back of a pickup truck, while soon-to-be ex-girlfriend hurls things out of window. :b It's all survived nicely.

Sure, all those boxes take up lots of space...you just gotta deal with it.

3. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Other than moving, do I need to keep them?, I can understand maybe keeping the rec and amp boxes, but for stuff like dvd players. Should I keep them?

4. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

i rarely do, but it is up to a person. If you have problems the warranty will still cover it.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I keep them much to the dismay of my wife.

I think it honestly helps resale value if you plan to sell it. There is nothing like being able to say "original box and manual" and most people that I've seen will buy from you over another guy w/o the original box and materials. Since I have an attic, its not a real problem in storing the boxes.

6. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

I still have the boxes my old Marantz speakers came in...Almost 30 years now. Why? Man if you ever move, it keeps them looking new. Moving is hard on wood, plastic and even metal is prone to scratching.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think it all depends on what you might be doing like moving or maybe selling something used in the future & then needing a box to ship it or move it. But I think the biggest thing is HOW MUCH STORAGE SPACE DO YOU HAVE WITHOUT THEM GETTING IN THE WAY OR MESSING EVERYTHING UP? Myself I have plenty of storage space with out buildings & etc on my property so I save ALL OF THEM until I either sell the item or throw it out. I even have enough room to store boxes for my friends & etc but that's not an open invitation to forum members [​IMG] My thought is if you have the room why not save them.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If storage is an issue, knock the boxes down and store all the packing materials (including plastic and tissues) separately. As noted here, keeping the original packing materials is indispensible for when you move or when you resell the equipment.

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

My attic looks like a electronics warehouse. I've thrown boxes out before, but for the most part, I keep all of them. If I didn't have an attic, or at least access to it I would probably flatten only the big purchase item's boxes and keep them under the guest bed or somewhere out of the way.

10. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

The moment I unpack the staff I always throw the boxes away.
    Stelios

11. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I keep them,safest way to ship them for repairs, upgrades,and resale. I'm very lucky I have a garage and we don't park any of our vehicles in it. I bought my wife a new Hyundai Elantra , don't laugh it's actually a pretty good car free road side assistance for 5 years and 10year 100,000 mile warranty. I drive an 86 Ford F-150 and an 89 Ford Festiva , Now you can laugh[​IMG] . I put my money into better things than cars like my house and my home theater[​IMG]

12. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Like Chris and others above have mentioned, there are many good reasons to keep boxes. If you don't have the space for empty boxes lying around you can even put other stuff (seasonal decorations, etc.) in them in the interim, and in case you ever need them you can just empty the stuff from them and put your original equipment back in for whatever reason...

One thing I would suggest about throwing boxes away though... It isn't always readily apparent, but I would recommend if you do put your boxes out on your curb, never simply collapse the box and leave it there with the outside of the box facing the general public. Either cut and stack the box panels so the box art/labels aren't discernable or at least turn the box inside out so it looks like plain cardboard.

Leaving boxes for brand new receivers, TVs, DVD players, etc., "advertising" what you just bought can sometimes be an "invitation" for thieves. Just a thought...

13. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I got every box for every peice of electronics i own because 1. if you move its a good idea 2. i'f you ever sell anything it always looks good to have all orginal boxes manuals and packing material. In my opinion its a good idea if you have the room that is[​IMG]

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also keep every box too. (Except for TVs, although now I'll have to think about flattening them and keeping them.)

When you sell a piece of equipment on ebay or audiogon or anywhere, you always get a little bit more if it comes with the orig box. Also helps for repair work if you have to ship.

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Since I don't keep my gear for more than a couple of years, I keep mine. I just store them up in the attic, so I don't have to look at them. [​IMG]

16. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I keep them until the return policy is up. They would come in handy for moving or if you sell and ship them though.

17. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I keep my equipment in tip top condition so I still have the boxes for my amp and dvd/cd players in case the upgrade bug hits and I want to sell it or if I need to move which I just did 2 weeks ago. Sometimes if space is very limited I would throw out the original packing material, flatten the box and store it in the closet. When I do need to pack it up I use the packing material from something I just ordered recently or you can go to a place like mailboxes etc. and just buy some.

18. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I keep boxes for all my gear including my big screen TVs but storage isn't an issue for me.

One thing I have noticed is that people with the original boxes and manuals will get more money when they sell their gear than those who do not. Typically I won't even buy anything used if the selled doesn't have the original boxes/manuals but that's just me.

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Every single one of them.

20. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    I have all of mine, from my 23 year old JVC cassette deck to my latest NAD 2 channel amp box. Most of them fit inside my tower speaker boxes so they don't take up anymore room.