Does an XBox controller extension exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Title says it all. While the cord is pretty long, it doesn't quite cut it for my setup. I've looked everywhere and had no luck finding one. Does it even exist?

2. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat. As far as I know, the answer is no. There _may_ be some released Q2 this year (I've seen reference online for a release from Mad Catz possibly). However, most people seem to be hoping for wireless controllers. Mad Catz is definitely set to release one, and I thought that there was talk that MS would be releasing a version. I think the wireless ones are scheduled for May or so.

The reason I've seen for the lack of them is due to the fact that controls run on a modified USB interface. USB 1.x spec is 5m; the controllers already extend about 3m currently. The concern over length is what I've seen cited for the overall lack of 3rd party extensions...

3. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Answer from XBox is no, and no known plans for them that they told me (via email support anyway). The solution? Wireless controllers are supposed to be available for the XBox in the late-Spring timeframe.

4. Rob Varto

But don't wireless controllers use the 900MhZ technology that created a lag in your button mashing versus actuall on-screen response? I haven't seen or heard of a good cordless controller yet.

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I don't see why it would be any different than the mouse and KB I use.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Given that one of the features MS toutes about the Xbox is the long controller cable I suspect we would have to rely on a third party to offer this. I'm interested in hearing more about the wireless solutions mentioned above. Rob echoed my initial concern regarding potential transmission delays. That would be extraordinarily frustrating (and a deal breaker).

7. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

May, 2002
    http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/produ...roduct_id=4556

8. Rob Varto

The Mad Catz controller sounds cool... but I always worry about third party peripherals and their performance. Again, I've been warned of delay using wireless controllers. Why can't they just sell a 3 or 6 foot jumper for $8?? I don't want a $60 controller.

9. DylanG

DylanG Auditioning

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    900Mhz, does that mean we'll be able to play from a different room of the house? How's that for a handicap!

Jay