What's new

Does an S-Video or Composite Cable Splitter Exist? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm looking for some sort of S-Video (preferrably) or composite cable splitter. Do they exist? Thanks!

VinhT

Second Unit
I've wondered about a composite splitter myself. The closest thing I can think of is a mono RCA splitter that's supposed to be used for audio, available at Radio Shack. I've never actually tried it though for two reasons: 1)I'm not sure a video signal can be sent through one of those, and 2)What happens if two video signals are sent through the splitter at the same time?

Hence, the A/V receiver.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You can't use a simple splitter like with audio, too much signal loss. They make boxes which will split video signal.

-Vince

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
You might check Radio Shack, they have a virtual plethora of connection boxes, with some rather new interesting boxes that include converting analog to digital audio.

Lex

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Generally a video signal has to be regenerated to feed an extra input. I just bought an A/V distribution amp for my system; one input is expanded to 4 outputs. Believe it or not, I'm using all 4!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's not just signal-strength issue splitting video.
Video signals are high enough frequency that they are subject to internal signal reflections caused by impedence mismatch. This is why we standardize on 75 ohm coax - for the video signals.
If you put a dumb "Y" connector on a video cable, you no longer have 75 ohms and can have problems. (You might see "ghost" images caused by the reflections).
So you need more than a "dumb" splitter.
www.markertek.com has the following items that might interest you:
KR-103YC - 1 to 3 Svideo line amplifier (adjustable) $135
KR-105S - 1 to 5 SVideo distribution amp: $117
PT102S - 1 to 2 SVideo Matchbox Amp: $72
Hope this helps.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Earl: We need to be a little carefull here.
Video cables ARE made with RG6 form-factor coax and has the correct 75 ohm impedence. But I think you are talking about the CATV RG6 stuff right?
I wouldnt.
The CATV coax is selected for the RF frequencies, not video. It is also stiff, and hard to work with. It is also hard to find good-quality RCA plugs (which should also be 75 ohms for video, not 50 ohms for audio).
For a "modest" system, the AR brand of cables or the Radio Shack cables should run you $25-50 and do a fine job.
A "modest" system is all of the following:
- Run length 6 feet or less
- Running ordinary interlace video
- Going to a 50" or smaller ordinary TV
When you have a more "sensitive" system, the cable can become a limiting factor. Then your best value is to hit one of the internet sites that will make you a cable using the broadcast/production studio grade coax and connectors.
A "sensitive" system is one or more of the following:
- Run length > 6 feet
- Running Progressive/HD video signals
- Going to a 50" or larger TV
- Going to a HD set that internally line-doubles the video
If you want to make your own cables, here is a link to one of the best sites I know of: www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm
Hope this helps.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Great link Bob! Thanks! NEW QUESTION!!!!

I just ohmed out some of my svhs cables and some have continuity in the shield and some don't. Any info on this. Partsexpress.com tech said there should not be continuity in the shield and that the cables with it may have a one way diode.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
We have seen this problem with sub cables. Some have the shield connected at both ends, others dont connect the shield to the plug at the destination end.

The shield-NOT-Connected design seems to be used to avoid trying to connect the grounds of the two devices together. For a sub, this can cause a ground-loop (2 amps each with a ground now have their grounds tied together through the interconnect -> hummmmmmm)

Both types will work as a shield.

Question: does the SVideo cable that is NOT connected all the way through, does it have little arrows on it to indicate the signal direction?

(It could also be a defective cable with the shield solder-joint broken or just not connected).

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I found another HD/gold svhs cable w/o continuity(RCA hometheater pro line)no arrows. And a cheap SVHS cable with continuity(dish network)(arrows in both directions). 5 different brands. So I guess you would have to peal one and check it out.

And a third brand gold medium duty( no continuity arrows facing in towards equipment on both ends).

A fourth brand(gold extra heavy duty, no arrows, continuity).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks