What's new

Does acoustic foam (egg crate) in speaker box count as space? (1 Viewer)

In other words:
If I have a 3 cubic foot enclosure and line the inside with 1.5" thick acoustic foam, does my enclosure now appear to be something like a 2.5 cubic foot (or whatever the math is) because I just lost 1.5" all around, OR is the foam open enough that it still counts as open space?

Thanks!

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jesse,

I'm no expert, but I believe that not only would the foam stuffing count as open space, but it may effectively enlarge the enclosure slightly. I know that if you stuff the entire enclosure, you get an effective increase in enclosure volume. Lining the sides may have a similar effect to a lesser degree.

JKS

Yeah, that was the third unspoken option (and thanks for your reply)! What I'm planning is roughly a 2.5 cubic foot sealed sub with an AV15, stuffed with 3 lbs of polyfill and insides lined with acoustic foam. There will be a Linkwitz transform to push the Q and Fs down, but I was just trying to figure out if the foam effectively increases or decreases the apparent volume. So now we have one vote for increase. Anyone else?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
For all intents and purposes the foam doesn't occupy enough space to be of concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks