Does a temperature regulated power device exist to regulate pet housing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

OK, I have two large land tortoises in a wood housing. Right now, we're using heating lamps and ceramic heater to provide warmth. I time regulate these lamps with one of those timer power plug. It would be nice if there's a plug or device that I can plug these heating lamps to that will regulate the temperature (eg. kicks in if it goes below 75F and turn the power off if it goes after 75F). Does one exist?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yes, I use one for my tarantulas. It basically consists of a small device with a switched outlet and a temperature probe that you can place inside the terrarium (via suction cup) and a temp dial that you can set to a temp. The outlet can be used with a multiplug adaptor as long as you're not controlling too many watts with it.
    This is what I have:
    Thermostat
    Works OK, I honestly let my Ts live at room temp, which typically is the upper 60's to low 70's. It's not terribly stable, but it is inexpensive. They do make nifty digital ones with better probes and stuff but my Ts aren't that picky and they're a hardy bunch, they've been around longer than humans anyway... [​IMG]
    Jay

3. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jay, that looks very promising. It looks like I can plug my ceramic heater and/or heating lamp to the device. Now the question is my ceramic heater and heating lamp are 100W a piece. That shouldn't be a problem right? Thanks.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'll have to take a look at the manual tonight.. I use heating pads and they're only at about 15W to 10W in power for perhaps a total of 40 watts on a 10gal fishtank.

I'm not entirely sure the watts that it's rated for, but I'll look tonight and try to post something..

Jay

5. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

If it's too much trouble don't worry about it. There's a vivarium store here in Berkeley. I checked out their website and they were selling the one you own for $50! Well, I certainly won't buy it from there but I'll go there one day and read the package. Thanks for your help.