What's new

Does a TCM premiere mean a DVD release is coming? (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
In the past week, Turner Classic Movies has shown two technicolor Danny Kaye movies, "A Song is Born," and "The Kid from Brooklyn." I believe Robert Osborne said about each of them that they were TCM premieres, not shown on that channel before. They both looked terrific on TV. Could they have been restored? Could this mean upcoming DVD releases?

I would love to have more Danny Kaye on DVD, but I don't know if the TCM airings imply anything.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would love it if it meant that!

They showed A Matter of Life and Death not too long ago, and it was a premiere as well.

It is a Columbia film, not Warner Bros.
The reason I make that comment is that I have noticed that many WB films that are about to be released on DVD show up on TCM at about the same time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
They tend to be aired around the same time.

For example, TCM aired the restored all-1.66:1 Dr. Strangelove two weeks before the 40th Anniversary 2-disc came out. They often air on Mondays what will be released on the next day. For example, they aired The Adventures of Robin Hood (the old soft, dirty, oversaturated LD transfer) the day before it streeted.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The TCM website now allows you to 'vote' for films to be released, and says it will pass on the results to the studios. I'd encourage you to go vote for the Danny Kaye films (and also Up in Arms). You just search for the film, and then vote on that page.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think it is mostly Warner Bros films that are shown on TCM the week they are released. Robert Osborne usually shows a copy of the DVD after the movie airs . As mentioned the Danny Kaye films are not Warner properties . A DVD release of these non Warner films would probably be promoted on one of the "New This Month on DVD " promos that air between films. I have never seen Robert Osborne promote a non Warner owned film on TCM. Perhaps Dr. Strangelove is an exception.

I wonder if the other studios pay TCM to promote their films. Does anyone know ? I would assume they do. They promote the Fox studio classics and Film Noir during "New This Month on DVD "

AndySvn

Agent
I wish your theory was correct. TCM premiered the "restored" (in quotes because we'll never see it complete) Greed and they premiered Jackie Coogan's "The Rag Man", but alas, no release.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for a DVD of Eric von Stroheim's The Merry Widow, which aired on TCM. :)

I saw a glorious 35mm print of this projected onto the giant screen at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, while Dennis James played accompaniment on the theater's fabulous Mighty Mo organ. One of my favorite silent movie screenings ever.

James' performance was recorded for the TCM broadcast and my fingers were crossed for a DVD release...

They're still crossed but nothing's happening. :frowning:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think it is. I have seen this happen to me several times - but give it 6 months until it will come out.

I am waiting for 'Up in Arms' myself. If these movies haven't been on any channel in years and then just suddenly 'pop' up out of nowhere, it's a sure sign, IMO.

Glenn

Charles H

Screenwriter
TCM seems to use their channel to "audition" widescreen prints for other studios. Columbia's BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (with the bungled opening credits) is a case in point, appearing a couple of months on dvd after its letterbox debut on TCM. I hope that frequent showings of Universal's wonderful GAMBIT in letterbox format bodes well for a dvd debut.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The RKO Danny Kaye, Technicolored films, mentioned are Samuel Goldwyn productions and to the best of my knowledge are presently owned by MGM.
They recently released an early Goldwyn, Eddie Cantor movie entitled KID MILLIONS on DVD, so it's quite possible that the Danny Kaye films are in the pipeline.
MGM and Quality do not always go together unfortunately.

All of these Kaye films were released by Pioneer on Laserdisc and they all look OK.
UP IN ARMS even has a seperated Music only Track.
It's my favourite, but then I'm a mad Dinah Shore fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks