What's new

Does a stereo or radio with timer recording exists? (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I'm looking for a stereo or radio that have timer recording. I like to record talkshows from KGO 810am in SF to listen during my 2.5hr commute each day. I only care about the AM stations and don't care about other quality such as speakers, ect. Just want to be able to set a timer for recording. Does one exist?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you already have everything except the timer, you can get one of those. You can also hook a tuner with analog outs to a VCR, leave the tuner on the appropriate station and set the VCR to record.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
the pronto could do that for you but you should be able to get your VCR to record those shows for you also
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
OK, maybe my question wasn't clear or I'm having problem with the responses.
So what I want to do is record audio talkshow from a radio station so I can playback in my car while driving, and would like to have a way to time record it (e.g. record it from 10-1am daily). So you are suggesting that I record the audio using the VCR and then transfer it to an audio cassette? Can you clarify?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You could do the above. Since most cassette decks I would think require manual movement into the record mode it may be easier to use a VCR. A Linn Classic I believe has a radio and a timer or clock built in but that would an expensive way to go. I am not aware (off the top of my head) of cassette decks that would have the ability to go into the record mode the way a VCR can. I sounded like you just want to hear it and get it accomplished as easily as possible. If you need to hear it the very next day, then obviously the VCR idea would not be good. You also may want to see if boom boxes or personal desk top type stereos have timing capability. You may also be able to the use a portable type VCR with cigarette lighter adapters for the car and maybe some ear phones. I have seen some of the older ones on E-Bay for $30-40.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Go the VCR route. It is so easy and works like a charm. I recorded a Real Audio broadcast of a memorial tribute to a favorite radio personality of mine this way.
Record during the day. Transfer to a boom box with a dual recorder at night.
Another possibility is to hookup the boombox to a regular timer that will turn the power on to the boombox at 10AM.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I've seen minidisc decks that can do this...and i couldn't understand why.
makes a bit of sense now
------------------

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Check out some bookshelf systems. I have an old Aiwa that has this feature (I'm pretty sure, never used it). If it has a clock, it might have a record mode.
//Ken

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
You could also pick up a plug in timer...one of those plug in things for shutting lights off in your house (security measures). They are available at hardware stores.
Plug in your cassette deck to the timer, then to the wall.
Push play/record on the deck and it will turn on at the appropriate time.
Jeremy

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, I was thinking of the same thing. I'll give that a try but am concern that when the power comes back on, the record will default to "stop."
The VCR idea might work but it's so much of a hassle. I drive so much during the week that I need to record quite a bit of materials. Besides, won't the quality degrade quite a bit with double recording?
Too bad. I thought someone is going to tell me.
"yeah Luc, there is. Go get this..."

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
quote: Too bad. I thought someone is going to tell me. "yeah Luc, there is. Go get this..."[/quote]
Here’s the answer you’re looking for, Luc! I used to do this all the time in the ’80s when I used to record radio programs on my reel-to-reel and dub my favorite songs down to cassette.
The plug-in timers Jeremy mentioned are not very precise. They will be off a minute or two one way or the other. Of course, if that’s accurate enough for you, then read no further. If you need a little more precision, keep reading.
What you want is a so-called Audio Program Timer. All the popular Japanese brands use to make these, and you can find examples from Yamaha, Sony, Akai, Pioneer, Sansui and others on e-bay all the time. Just do a search on "audio timer." You might want to search the finished auctions to see what they are selling for.
Basically they are a digital clock that looks like a hi-fi component. On the back are switched and unswitched outlets. Simple plug in your gear to the switched outlets, set the system on and off times, and you’re in business.
There are a few other concerns, namely the features on your cassette deck and the 2 ½ hour time frame you want to record.
Your cassette deck has to have a “Timer Play/Record” switch on it, which will allow it do perform the selected function when the deck is powered up from the timer—record, in this case.
I’m not sure how you intend to record 2 ½ hours on a cassette deck, though. The longest tapes I’ve seen are two-hour duration, and typically the tape is so thin that it’s not a good idea to use them. I may be wrong about this, however; I haven’t paid much attention to cassette technology the past several years.
You might have to get two timers and a second cassette deck to pull this off. At least one deck would have to be auto reverse. The second timer could turn on the second deck at the time the first was running out.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 20, 2001 at 12:52 AM]
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 20, 2001 at 12:54 AM]

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
An audio timer is just what I need and I didn't know they existed. I record Howard Stern (from the radio) every day onto a vcr but I don't really like leaving my receiver on so long (I turn it on before I go to bed). Do they make new audio timers? On eBay they seem to all be really old ones (though they're pretty cheap so that's good).
I came across this kind of strange recording device for recording radio shows. It's sort of like a Tivo for radio.http://www.ccrecorder.com/

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, unfortunately, when the timer comes on, my mini-system resetted itself to a STOP mode even though I left it on RECORD.
Wayne, I do have the digital timer but face the problem above. Most talkshow I want to record is 3hrs but 1.5hr is better than nothing. I'm not sure about the preprogram recording you mentioned, but my system don't have that.
Well, I guess I'm stunk with the option several of you mentioned: VCR.

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
"Most talkshow I want to record is 3hrs but 1.5hr is better than nothing"
These days, you could probably pick up a pair of used cassette decks at a garage sale for $25 each or less (not great quality, but good enough for AM). Then pick up 2 digital plug-in timers ($15 each) and set them to turn on 1 1/2 hours apart. Cheap cassette decks usually have have a mechanical record mechanism so they won't 'stop' when the power comes on. If you're lucky enough to find two decks with auto reverse, you'll get 3 hours of recording from two 90 minute tapes.
Since VCR tapes can record 6 hours or more, another alternative is to get a cheap 12 volt VCR for your car, mount it somewhere out of the way (or sit it on the floor if you don't care) and hook it up to your stereo. You could use a cassette adapter made to connect portable CD players through your stereo's tape deck if you don't have external inputs.
How bad do you want to listen to this show?
Rick
------------------

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this will help you? In the latest Crutchfield flyer that I just received they have some shelf systems that have wake-up, sleep & RECORD TIMERS.
JVC model MX-GT80 $ 299.95
JVC model MX-GT90 $ 399.95
Kenwood model XD-A55 $ 199.95
Kenwood model XD-A75 $ 249.95
They also have a "SPECIAL" on the Aiwa XR-C303RW that is also a CD-R recorder list price $ 700 Crutchfield's regular price $ 499.95 SPECIAL PRICE $ 299.95
All of these shelf systems have 3 disc CD players, double cassette decks with auto reverse & AM / FM radio. I don't know if the Aiwa can record AM radio on CD's but it might? You might want to check their websites & Crutchfield's for Specs. Myself, the Aiwa looks pretty neat it even has an audio input for a tv & the speakers are shielded so you can use them next to a tv.
Hope this helps you out :)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Your best bet is probably the VCR suggestion. The problem with cassette decks is they generally cannot record over 2 hours unless you have a dual cassette deck or happen to have access to a Sony TC-C5 five changer cassette deck or a Pioneer CT-WN62R six changer cassette deck. Go with the VCR and record to cassette while you do other things around the house. Keep in mind you do not have to listen to the tape while it is being recorded.
------------------

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Do you have a computer? :)
Plug your radio into your computer, or if you have broadband, see if KGO has an online feed. Then you can record it on your hard drive using:
The Cybercorder 2000
Then burn the MP3 to CD-RW, and get an MP3 CD player for your car.
I don't know how many on/off events the above-mentioned software can execute, but if you get really precise, you could program it to cut out the commercials for you!
Software to record: $25
Portable MP3 CD player: $75
Being able to listen to KGO, commercial free, when you want: Priceless.
[Edited last by Jonathan Burk on July 25, 2001 at 04:36 PM]

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure all of the shelf systems have double reverse auto cassette decks which if they do should give you enough recording time I would think?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Carol, the majority of double cassette units including shelf units have only one deck that plays AND RECORDS. In otherwords most have one side that plays ONLY while the other side plays and records. This would limit the record time to 2 hours or 110 minutes depending on the longest length tape available.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks