What's new

Does a small, good sub exist? (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I am looking for something small in size, but still gets the job done. I don't want anything of any size that knocks the pictures off the walls or cracks the drywall, but I would like something that lets you hear and feel explosions, etc. I will join this with Klipsch rf3II, rc3II, sb2, ss1 & Pioneer 45tx. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

Brad,

You never responded on your other thread whether the sound or size of the sub was overwhelming but I take it from this thread that it is the size of the sub, not the sound, that is overwhelming in your room.

I still recommend the Hsu VTF-2 as a reasonably sized good sounding, affordable sub. If cost isn't a big issue, check out the Velodyne HGS-10. Its quite small, less than 1 cubic foot, very fast and tight, and will get you down to 20 Hz.

Alex

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
How about the Pinnacle Subsonic??

9 7/8" x 9 7/8" x 9 7/8"....375 watts....dual 8" drivers....rated down to 25 Hz (-3 db)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the aforementioned VTF-2, you might consider the Rava sub, made by Adire audio. It comes in at about $400 and is an 18” cube (sealed with a 12” driver).

A little more expensive, a little bit smaller, and perhaps a bit better looking is the Rocket UFW-10 due to be available this month from AV123 at ~$600. (sealed, with a 10” driver).

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I still recommend the Hsu VTF-2 as a reasonably sized good sounding, affordable sub. If cost isn't a big issue, check out the Velodyne HGS-10. Its quite small, less than 1 cubic foot, very fast and tight, and will get you down to 20 Hz
Yes, the physical size is the problem. What is the cost for the Velodyne? I would like to keep the price range around the SVS price. Does the "better" subs cause any type of damage......pictures moving, caulk cracking...etc? The wife sure wouldn't go for that.

Alan M

Second Unit
I'd also recommend the athena P-2 sub.Clean bass sound without any boominess.It goes down to 25hz,and has a very small footprint.S&V gave the p-2,s-2 combo rave reveiws,and I'm very pleased with its performance. Cost is $375,my wife was overjoyed to see me bring home a small sub that we both could live with.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Brad,

The "better" subs won't bring your house down or cause structural damage. If you're looking in the SVS price range the HGS-10 isn't it, I believe it goes for $1800-1900. I should have mentioned the forthcoming UFW-10 as well. I've heard very good things about the alpha of this model and the final version is supposed to be better. It is relatively small though larger than the Velo and the finish is drop dead gorgeous (IMHO). Here's a link to a pic: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=UFW10

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brad,

If they are in your price range, check REL. Excellent subs, all of them, certainly not too big (not all of their models) and really excellent musical as wel as theatrical sound.

Cees

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If cost isn't a big issue, check out the Velodyne HGS-10. Its quite small, less than 1 cubic foot, very fast and tight, and will get you down to 20 Hz.
The Velodyne HGS-10 is a wonderful piece of equipment, but, as noted, it's pricey. In my case, it was the only sub that was both small enough and attractive enough to pass muster with my lovely wife. So it was worth it. :)

M.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Size and aesthetics were both concerns of my wife and variables in my purchase.
I will put another vote for the Velodyne HGS series ( I went with the HGS15):emoji_thumbsup: Great performance and their size and the piano finish will make the wife happy.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If the Velodyne HGS subs are pricier than you want, the Velodyne SPL series are very potent and compact subs as well.

Shawn_MM

Grip
How about the Def Tech SupercubeI. Measures 14x14x14 with two 10 inchers and a 1500 amp and all the way down to 13 Hz. I heard Def Tech makes some wonderful subs. (Allmost as good as Subway):D

Martice

Screenwriter
I don't want anything of any size that knocks the pictures off the walls or cracks the drywall, but I would like something that lets you hear and feel explosions, etc.
According to the above quote, the only sub that I can see fitting Brad's criterior is the Adire Rava. The expensive Velo's will tear down his walls (if he plays it like that) as well as the Dharman (although cheaper than the Velo's)is probably too big for his taste.

At $400 and coming from a world class speaker builder and distributor, how can you go against the Rava with his multiple choice of finishes?

Then again, you can always call up Kyle at Acoustic Visions, Darren at Thomas Woodcraft or Brian Bunge of Link Removed for a nice custom sub that can be built just the way that you like it with a finish of your choice that will surely match any decor and will fit your level of performance as well.

I went this route and so have many others on this forum.

Good Luck.

Nick V

Second Unit
Some more subs to look into may be the Sunfire jr. and the Carver Knightshadow. They are a bit on the pricey side as well, but I'm sure you could find them for reasonable prices slightly used, if you're comfortable on the used market. These things are very fast and accurate, and go pretty low for their tiny size.

Here's a link to the sunfire super jr. and I'll try to find some info on the knightshadow for you.

Here's a link to someone on audiogon selling b-stock juniors for a great price.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice is right, the Rava would be perfect. Right price, excellent quality. It'll stomp those 1 note wonder "micro" subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks