What's new

Does a SACD player make CD's sound any better? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I am not a newbie and I realize this is not the audio video sources page, but I figured it was best to ask this question here. Does playing a normal CD on a SACD sound any better? I was just curious, thanks!

james

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Sony NS500V for DVD, SACD, and CD. I use a digital coax for DVDs and CDs, so the receiver does all of the DAC work. The SACD is connected via the 5.1 channel audio (analog) cables.

If you use a digital connection from your current CD player to your receiver and also use a digital connection from your SACD player to your receiver when playing regular CDs, there will be very little difference in quality between the two.

However, if you are using analog cables to connect your CD player to your receiver, you are using the CD player to do the DAC conversion. In that case quality will depend on how good the DAC in the CD player is vs the DAC in the SACD player for regular CDs.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Mark kind of touched on it. The only thing (well, not the only thing) that is going to make CDs sound better is a better CD player so it really just depends on how good the DACs are, how good the player is built (ie good transport, low jitter) and if the rest of your system can resolve the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks