Does a SACD player make CD's sound any better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 16, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I am not a newbie and I realize this is not the audio video sources page, but I figured it was best to ask this question here. Does playing a normal CD on a SACD sound any better? I was just curious, thanks!

james

2. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

I use the Sony NS500V for DVD, SACD, and CD. I use a digital coax for DVDs and CDs, so the receiver does all of the DAC work. The SACD is connected via the 5.1 channel audio (analog) cables.

If you use a digital connection from your current CD player to your receiver and also use a digital connection from your SACD player to your receiver when playing regular CDs, there will be very little difference in quality between the two.

However, if you are using analog cables to connect your CD player to your receiver, you are using the CD player to do the DAC conversion. In that case quality will depend on how good the DAC in the CD player is vs the DAC in the SACD player for regular CDs.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Mark kind of touched on it. The only thing (well, not the only thing) that is going to make CDs sound better is a better CD player so it really just depends on how good the DACs are, how good the player is built (ie good transport, low jitter) and if the rest of your system can resolve the differences.

4. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator