Does A Receiver Make A Difference For SACD and DVD-A Playback

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kage, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

Does a a midrange receiver improve the sound quality of SACD and DVD-A than a entry level receiver or does it go by a DVD-A or SACD compatible dvd player?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

In an ideal world the receiver would simply act as an analog bypass with volume control so there shouldn't be any difference but in the real world the quality of the volume controls and the degree to which its a true analog by pass vary. That said most modern units with a "true" analog bypass mode on the 5.1 inputs should sound more similar then different.

3. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

Well, the speakers make a diffence in sound quality?

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Neither of your questions are very clear, it would help if you'd state what you already have and what you are trying to achieve. But I'll take a shot at giving you some advice. First off, everything in the chain has an effect, speakers, players, receivers, amps, even the cables to some extent. If any one of those components is of really poor quality, everything will suffer.

As for the receiver and DVD-A/SACD. Andrew left out what I think is the most important thing, how good are the amps in the receiver or are you using an external amp? If it has a true analog bypass, and you are using external amps, then the receiver hopefully won't degrade the sound quality. However if you are using the receiver's amps, that has a major effect on the sound and that is where the quality of the receiver matters most.

Speakers also have an important part to play, they may be the most important part. You can have a great receiver or pre/pro, great amps, and top quality source components, but if you try to listen to all that through some cheapo Radio Shack speakers, you'll be wasting a lot of money.

Does that help you any?

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

In addition to what Andrew and Keith stated, there's also the issue of bass management when utilizing DVD-A and SACD. Before making a final purchase decision for any mid-level receiver, I'd be sure that there is some control over DVD-A or SACD via the receiver in the form of bass management.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I agree 100%, that BM is the key to getting good sound out of SACD or DVD-A (assuming you lack full range speakers), but you will be hard pressed to find ANY reasonably priced receiver that offers it.

IIRC, some HK units offer it in the form of the triple crossover, but that is the only unit that comes to mind.

Most offer straight analog bypass, which means you either need a player that gets it right (looks like the Denon 2200 does, which is rare) OR buy an ICBM.

BGL

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I use the Outlaw 950 with their triple crossover. I hooked my friend's Pioneer 563A to his Pioneer 509S receiver and couldn't believe how important BM really is. If you don't have BM, DVD-A and SACD are barely worth the effort IMO. But then again I have been spoiled by BM so YMMV.