Does a program exist that can do this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I am designing a subwoofer on the Adire SBB4 design. I was calculating the amount of MDF I need to build the cabinet and I can't get it all to fit on a sheet(8 x 4) of MDF. I get so close and I am sure if it was arranged right I could get it on one sheet.

Does a program exist where I could enter in the dimensions of the sheet of MDF and the cuts I need and have it arrange it for me?

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Try searching for panel optimization software. Not sure if there's any freeware versions, tho.

Pete

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Come on, use your brain! Fire up the calculator, sharpen up some pencils! You can do it!

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I always buy a little more than I need. No one is perfect and stuff happens. If it almost fits then you'd really be better off getting another sheet. Down here you can get all kinds of sizes of MDF. Ask around and you will probably find something smaller than 4x8. IMO, "Almost fits" is more likely to turn into "almost sounds good." [​IMG]

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ask and ye shall receive!
    How about ths? [​IMG]
    Brian

6. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Almost or just barely fits is not the best way. Give your self some slack. Specially when you have 8 cuts to make & forget to add in 1/8" each time for the blade............not that I've ever forgot to do that..........:b

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Some advice from a general contractor is to always cut off about an inch of wood from the edges of the full sheet.

This leaves you with a fresh clean cut and can also helps prevent warping.

Also, if you are making certain cuts that need to be equal to other cuts, try and do them all at once without repositioning the stop. This way you won't be relying on your ability to measure precise and accurate.

8. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

thank you for that link! My dad told me that the saw would take about 1/16 inch off and that it was not enough to make a significant difference.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Justin,

You're welcome. Also, you can specify the kerf width within the software. I think I used 1/8".

Brian

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Justin I bought CutList Plus months ago and have had trouble with it. I had a problem transferring it to my home computer but after several days and emails it worked. Then, a couple of weeks ago, as I was entering a new project, the program crashed for no apparent reason. I e-mailed the owner with this unexpected problem, and he replied with a note that he was refunding my money. I woul have preferred he attempt to solve the problem and fix it so I could continue to use the program and my one stored project. He chose to refund and not discuss except to say he had reports of the program crashinig before, but not this latest version. The owner is a one-man operation and doesn't provide a phone number for help. You have to e-mail him and wait until he responds. This is to keep overhead and therefore program cost low, but it is frustrating if you have a problem and need to use the program and work on a weekend and you can't get an answer until the next week. I wish he would have fixed the problem - I really like the software, but I, like him, gave up.
    I'm going to try this program now: http://www.sheetlayout.com/

11. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I've used Cutlist PLus for the past year w/o any problems. I recently just upgraded it to the Platinum or Gold or whatever it is. I'm going to start building my bathroom and kitchen cabinets and the big version lets you link projects together.

Rob