Does A 'One Gag' Movie Stop Your Purchase Of the DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Jul 20, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Is it just me, or do motion pictures that hinge on a surprise ending-(The Sixth Sense, The Others, even A Beautiful Mind) or similar- keep you from buying the DVD? Sometimes, I think that a "one gag"-type film that locks in your mind kinda spoils that "oh-boy-I-gotta-get-this" feeling ... just wondering.. it's really hard to explain what I mean. I have the Vista Series Sixth Sense on DVD and before that on VHS, but have held back on the other two, even having seen them both theatrically. And I even think that on first viewing they're EXCELLENT flicks!

2. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Well I cant say much about A Beautiful Mind because I didn't like it, but I love the Sixth Sense (one of my "top 10" films this) and The Others for the story they tell, and the characters that are presented, and not just the twist ending to both.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I guess you could put two of my faves, Memento and Fight Club, in this category, but both have so many other great elements besides the shock endings that they're, IMO, infinitely rewatchable.

4. Han

Han Second Unit

Interesting thread.

I agree with Andrew_Sch, Memento and especially Fight Club both have a lot of little things going on throughout that are worth it for me to view over and over.

With The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and The Others, I've resigned to the fact that I'll probably watch these again maybe three or four years from now. This phenomenom of the trick ending does ward me from buying this type of movie in the future though. Jacob's Ladder comes to mind.

Also big, emotionally taxing, seemingly must-own movies I'm weary of as well. Ever since I bought Saving Private Ryan (back on the first week it was released) I've watched it one and a half times. I like the movie, but I don't know when I'll get up the motivation to ever watch it again. This'll make me likely to skip Schindler's List whenever that comes out.

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    It depends on the movie. I own Memento, Sixth Sense, The Others, and lived with a roommate for two years that owned Fight Club. Out of the four, I think Fight Club has the best repeat watchability, but the following facts have kept me from making the purhcase: I have watched Memento 1.5 times, Sixth Sense probably 2X, I saw The Others in the theaters and loved it, but have only made it .5 of the way through. So I find that I really have to evaluate whether I really like(d) the movie or whether that first time experiance just blew my mind.