What's new

Does a DVD start with different things on different players? (1 Viewer)

cainiao

Auditioning
Hi, everybody. I am a DVD fan from China. It may surprise you that there are lots of DVD fans in China who buy R1 DVDs.

Recently my friends and I have found something intersting. Two guys both claim they have the US version of R1 Gladiator. But one of them says when played the first thing that appears on the screen is a menu for your selection of DTS and DD audio. The other insists it goes straight to the main menu without any audio selection.

We have checked various sources and found nothing that says US R1 Gladiator has two versions. So the question is, does a DVD start with different things on different players?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Cainiao:

Your post will get the responses it deserves when located in the Software section. The DVD Etc. section is dedicated to discussions about stories, reviews, and topics that appear in or are related to the magazine.

Have fun at HTF!

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
the only DVD I have that starts with an audio selection is my HK Shaolin soccer DVD. I only have UKR2 of Gladiator so Can't answer exactly.
HTH

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Many DVD's with dts soundtracks actually did start with a soundtrack selection screen though, Dreamworks did this with a lot of discs (The reason being that is was even less obvious which soundtrack to default to)

cainiao

Auditioning
Thank you, Jack. Sorry that I was not familiar with the organization of this form.

What was mentioned in my question is definitely not a bootleg, though that's a good guess.

I think all DVD fans would own a Gladiator. So can you guys tell me what's the startup menu on your player?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I forgot that particular bit, but my R1 DVD starts with a regular menu screen. A lot of Dreamworks DVD's did start with a sound selection screen though, maybe it is a bit of selective memory going around ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Actually my brother's Toshiba did not go to the soundtrack selection menu, but my Panasonic does. When he got DTS he called to ask how to activate it on that title (only one he had) and I said it should come right up when you load the disc. It doesn't.

So, yes. But this seems to be an isolated case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks