What's new

Does a 6 Channel Analog to Digital Converter Exist? (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Let's just say that you wanted to take 5.1 analog into a device which had a digital output (say DD), given that you acknowledge a loss of quality. Can it be done? Are there any PC sound cards or whatnot which could possibly do this?

It's just idle curiosity, really.

Thanks,
Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hmmm. Had a quick look at the links. I should have added that the encoding is to be real time. I'll read the provided links in detail.

OK, let's say you have a SACD player. And it has crummy bass management. You want good bass management, you don't have i.link in your receiver, and you are willing to sacrifice some detail. Can you economically buy or build a real time converter?

Martin.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
If SACD bass management is the issue, is there any reason why you don't want to use the Outlaw ICBM?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you have a receiver like mine (Integra DTR 6.4) or some HKs I've read about, you can plug in your hi-res six channel analogue cables to the multichannel input and, by means of A/D/A, apply the bass management AND time alignment (speaker delays) to the hi-res signal, at some (theoretically audible, not to me) potential signal loss. This is exactly what I do with my hi-res player. This way, I get the crossover setting and slope I want, with speaker delay settings for SACD (something that is otherwise seemingly extremely rare).

The Outlaw ICBM applies bass management in the analogue domain, so no A/D/A but it does NOT provide speaker delay (nor are you recommended to set them in the player). Some people don't need the delay (speakers are equidistant), some don't think it necessary. I like to have the option, given the placement constraints in my room.

P.S. The Integras (don't know about the HKs) do NOT apply speaker level settings to the multichannel inputs, so you must calibrate your levels in the player for hi-res playback, as well as in your receiver for normal DD or DTS playback.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
GordonL and PaulDA,

Thanks for the comments! I certainly understand the issues involved, and I appreciate your time spent posting your thoughts. But my main question in this thread was simply whether analog to DD could be done. I'm not even saying I would; the question was stated as hypothetical ;) My question stands: is there a way to convert 6 channel analog to DD in realtime, without blowing the budget on some pro or esoteric equipment?

PaulDA, for what it's worth, I have a Pioneer 1014 whatever receiver, which does apply speaker level settings for the analog inputs, but does not do BM or TA. My DV45 does offer TA, which I've been using. Are you saying that it really isn't advised? As far as BM goes, I guess I'm using it's BM features too, such as as they are.

Martin.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The ICBM takes the signal after it has left the player and sums the below crossover frequencies (plus LFE) and sends them to the subwoofer. If you apply speaker delays prior to the ICBM, then the signals are not summed at the same time, creating phase issues. At least, this is what I understand the warning against using speaker delays in the player with the ICBM to mean. In your case, if the speaker levels are applied to the multichannel inputs, but not time alignment or bass management, then if your player does the BM/TA, you are fine. Speaker levels don't care about timing, but summed frequencies do care, if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks