Does a $50 128mb PCI video card exist?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd Bohlke, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I have a fairly old P3 450 w/ a 16mb video card that is in sore need of being replaced. If possible, I would like to swap out the video card with a much faster PCI card to extend its life a little and allow me to get a better machine when I finally bite the bullet. When I get my next pc I'm going to use the PCI card along with the ATI 9700 AIW (or hopefully, the 9800) to let me use 2 monitors. I've seen a 128mb AGP Geforce4 for $59, but nothing at that price in PCI. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd suggest sticking around the TNT2 to GeForce 3 range (at 64MB). Your system won't see much benefit from anything more powerful. As powerful as today's video cards are they only give their best when accompanied by fast CPUs, RAM and a quick system bus.

TNT2 Ultra cards ought to be available for ~$20. Older Geforce boards should be similarly discounted (and available in a PCI variety).

3. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I may end up going the Geforce3 route. I wanted the 128 mb to get a card as comperable (performance wise) to the ATI I will be getting in the new computer whenever that happens. The TNT2 is a thought, though, since my current card is a TNT and does pretty well for a little 16 megger!

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

To be honest, many of the 64mb versions of the same graphics card benchmark the same or higher than the 128mb version.

Link

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

a 2MB card will be on par with a 1024MB card if the game you are using only makes use of 2MB of textures. what I am saying is that the ram of the card only affects the performance if the game you are playing has massive textures. few games out currently use more than 64MB of textures, so you wouldn't notice a big performance drop by getting a 64mb card over a 128mb card.

I myself wouldn't bother much with getting a video card for that computer. your cpu just can't keep up with the kind of video card your looking to get for it. a geforce3 64mb might do you okay,the extra features supported by the card would work out well (GF4 mx440's are really gf2's).

in the end, my suggestion is to leave your computer as is, and dump the money into getting a better computer. there's a few other posts around here with some good suggestions for computers that won't break the bank.

6. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Check out this one for sale for $40 + S/H over on the Hardware for Sale/Trade forum:

$40 PCI Card

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend going to pricewatch.com and simply order a mb/cpu combo as you should most likely be able to reuse most of your gear (hd, cd rom, case, etc) and the performance gain you'll get would be the best bang for the buck (ASSUMING you have a friend who can help you build it). For maybe a little over a $100 you can step into upper P3 and Athlon, or entry level P4 (celeron) and XP Athlon with an integrated AGP that would really cost minimally over a video card upgrade to an old board with an old processor with a performance leap that should keep you happy for at least a year or more.

8. Bruce Cadotte

Bruce Cadotte Stunt Coordinator

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 was out at my local Best Buy Today for $99.00 both PCI and AGP seems like a great deal for a 128 DDR Ram Video Card vs. the Ti-4200 at $199.00 and the Ti-4600 at $299.00 so i purchased one and installed it 2 hours ago(still playing with it).

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

10. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Agent

dude ur not going to do anything with 128mb of ram if ur running a lil 450... ur not going to be running the doom3 beta on it i can tell ya dat [​IMG]

i say MABY pick up a $35 gf2 off ebay and leave it at that get a new pc later

11. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Rob is 100% correct 128mb of video ram is useless right now. There are no games on the market today that will take full advantage of 128mb.

The FX 5200 is the new MX series of cards and I full expect my GF3 to out perform them and as far as 4200s go its still the best bang for the buck gaming card on the market.

Unfortunately the GF4 mx440 is going to be about the best pci card on the market. A full fledged GF card that's not mx would need way more bandwidth then a pci slot can provide. If you don't have the cash for an upgrade right now your can pic up the MX440 for around $60 or a tnt2 for $40

A good rule of thumb for video card buying is always be 1 generation behind. The FX is on the way and there still are no games that cripple a GF4 4200 at a reasonable quality and resolution setting. Sure you can jack everything up and run at 1280x1024 rez but do you really need to?

For the people considering buying the FX 5200 take a look at this

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

The 4200 consistently gets 2x the fps or more.

12. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I found a fairly cheap 1.4 Ghz upgrade for my computer so now I'm thinking I'll get that and bump my video card budget up to $100 so my pc will last me until I get my taxes back next yr. I'm having a hard time finding anything in a pci card that's not a gf4mx so maybe I'll scrap the dual monitor idea for now and look for an agp gf3ti.