What's new

Does a 1080i signal lock all YOUR sets into Full Mode? (1 Viewer)

Kent Oberlin

Auditioning
I did not think my Sony 65xBR10W locked into any mode but I just got HD reception and the set locks into full mode when getting the 1080i signal. Anyone's set allow you to switch picture modes when recieving a 1080i signal?

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba 56H80 does the same thing.It is locked in HD setting when operating the set in the HD mode using component video cables. What ever the sender broadcasts 4 by 3 or 16 by 9 the sorce determines my picture size

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
HDTV is 16:9. There is no full mode to lock into. It is the HDTV mode used by the TV.
I should add that the 4:3 upconverted material that you see is actually sent out to your TV as 16:9. The black bars have been added at the source location. As far as your TV is concerned, it is receiving just another HDTV signal and nothing out of the ordinary.
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Kent Oberlin

Auditioning
Makes sense! I am an idiot! 1080i material will fill a 1080i TV and to adjust a 1080i picture would be impossible...I think. Was that a stupid question I asked or what?

RudolphT

Agent
Not a stupid question, but it is important to remind folks that "Full" and HD (1080i) are two completely different modes. Full for the incorrectly named "anamorphic" 480 (i or p) DVDs.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks